2007 Saturn Vue Starting

RUBBER999
  • 2007 SATURN VUE
  • AWD
I went to start after sitting for 2 weeks car turned over about half a turn or less.
It seemed like a low battery I changed battery and starter car still does the same.
THE CAR WAS RUNNING FINE STARTING GOOD BEFORE SETTING FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS

I, m at a loss trying to figure out what is wrong with it I tried to read computer input but when I changed the battery I lost all imfo. Please help if you have any idea what is wrong. Thanks Ray

Friday, September 11th, 2015 AT 10:06 AM

First, you must be aware that in the '90s, the industry standard was that a good, fully-charged battery would be able to crank the engine fast enough to start after sitting for three weeks. That was due to the drain from the numerous computer memory circuits. Since then, cars have had many more computers hung onto every concealable part of our cars, so it's unlikely that three weeks is still relevant. What you should have started with was charging the battery at a slow rate for at least an hour. Now that you have a different battery installed, (and you didn't say it was a new one), it sounds like it too is not fully-charged.

Measure the battery's voltage. If it's good and fully-charged, it will be 12.6 volts. If it's good but totally discharged, it will read close to 12.2 volts.
Friday, September 11th, 2015 AT 8:02 PM
RUBBER999
I had the battery fully charged that
I put in. And the battery that was in it
before had good readings. I have ruled the battery out.
Saturday, September 12th, 2015 AT 2:43 AM
Next, turn on the head lights so current is trying to flow, then measure the battery's voltage again, right on the posts if you have top posts, otherwise, you'll have to skip right to the side post bolt heads. Please tell me what you find for voltage. If you have top posts, now move the meter probes to the cable clamps and measure again. You should find exactly the same voltage.

If you have side posts, we'll have to skip over part of the tests and go right to the starter. Put one meter probe right on the large stud on the starter that the battery cable is bolted to, and the other meter probe on an unpainted surface on the engine block. You'll find full battery voltage at first, but I'm interested in the voltage you find when a helper tries to crank the engine. During normal cranking, that voltage must stay above 9.6 volts. When you have a cable or connection problem, you're going to find considerably lower voltage.

Another clue to a bad cable or connection is the head lights or interior lights will get real dim during cranking.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 8:36 PM