How do I reinstall the front driveshaft?

DAVIDL40
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX

I pulled out a drive shaft to replace the center bearing. I marked the front drive shaft where it attaches to the transmission. I made a rookie mistake and did not mark it long enough and it rubbed off during the procedure. I have tried several different ways to reinstall it so the bearings and the grooved slip yoke line up to the transmission side but like a previous user I get a grinding or click sound when it goes in to drive. Is there only one way this can be reinstalled to be right? I can get the bearings and cage to stay seated on the slip yoke when installing but I don't think the grooves on the slip yoke and transmission are lining up correctly. Do I just keep pulling it out and rotate the drive shaft until I get the right combination? There are six bolts so it has to be one of those combinations, right?

Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 4:19 PM

2CARPROS KEN

You must line up the U joints so they match the rear shaft at 90 degrees in other words the U joints must be lined up from the front shaft to the rear shaft.

Here are some diagrams (below) to help you get the problem fixed.

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 AT 1:04 PM