IS MY DRIVE SHAFT SERVICEABLE OR DO I HAVE TO GO THE AFTERMARKET ROUTE?

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

kennethjr

May, 14, 2012 AT 12:21 PM

I had to remove the driveshaft to replace the center or carrier bearing, which I have done. When I removed the cv joint using the instructions from the internet, I removed the 6 bolts holding the booted cap to the cv joint and tapped the cap off. The 6 balls and the cage fell out.I have removed the splined sprocket from the drive shaft and need to find a new snap ring. I have assembled the cv joint in the cup in the vehicle but don't think I can insert the drive shaft into it and be certain it is in far enough, so I believe it must be done off the vehicle and reinstalled as a unit already on the end of the drive shaft.

hmac300

May, 14, 2012 AT 2:51 PM

The cv joint isn't servicable the driveshaft has to be replaced.

kennethjr

May, 15, 2012 AT 11:57 AM

I should have known better than to ask a gm employee. Of course the drive shaft is servicable: there are several aftermarket drive shaft CV joint rebuild kits on the market these days ranging from $117 to $221: comes with 6 balls new cage, new cup, new front cup and new rear cup with boot and grease. My question was how to remove old cup from the cv joint which is held to transfer case by a nut. I got the same run a round at the gm dealer ship. They wanted to see me a new drive shaft for $1100.00 There must not be any true mechanics left that work for dealers, just us back yard guys that didn't really need the answer. Any one want the answer, just ask me, I have been there and done that and kept the $1100 in my bank account.

hmac300

May, 15, 2012 AT 1:46 PM

Actually, I got the info from a our manual. I didn't check with an auto parts store to see if there was a repair kit which normally things are done after oem brings things out.

hmac300

May, 15, 2012 AT 1:50 PM

One other thing as I answer alot of questions if this was adonation question contact me if you want your money back. I'll see that you get it.

jw_26416

September, 5, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

This question is to Kennethjr, I am also having the same problem when I took the driveshaft off the bearings in the carriage fell out just as you had stated, my question is how to get it back in? I put everything back in the driveshaft and tried to put it back in the transfer case and won't lock in, it's like it is jumping in and out of 4 wheel drive, please help ! It is a 2005 chevy equinox AWD, thank you

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Wheel Bearing Replacement