Is my drive shaft serviceable or do I have to go the aftermarket route?

KENNETHJR
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
I had to remove the driveshaft to replace the center or carrier bearing, which I have done. When I removed the cv joint using the instructions from the internet, I removed the 6 bolts holding the booted cap to the cv joint and tapped the cap off. The 6 balls and the cage fell out.I have removed the splined sprocket from the drive shaft and need to find a new snap ring. I have assembled the cv joint in the cup in the vehicle but don't think I can insert the drive shaft into it and be certain it is in far enough, so I believe it must be done off the vehicle and reinstalled as a unit already on the end of the drive shaft.
Monday, May 14th, 2012 AT 12:21 PM

KEN
You are right the drive shaft must be assembled off car. Here are diagrams to help you get it back together (below).

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, May 14th, 2012 AT 2:51 PM
KENNETHJR
There are several aftermarket drive shaft CV joint rebuild kits on the market these days ranging from $117 to $221: comes with 6 balls new cage, new cup, new front cup and new rear cup with boot and grease.

My question was how to remove old cup from the cv joint which is held to transfer case by a nut. I got the same run a round at the gm dealer ship. They wanted to see me a new drive shaft for $1100.00

There must not be any true mechanics left that work for dealers, just us back yard guys that didn't really need the answer.

Any one want the answer, just ask me, I have been there and done that and kept the $1100 in my bank account.
+3
Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 AT 11:57 AM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 AT 1:50 PM
JW_26416
This question is to Kennethjr, I am also having the same problem when I took the driveshaft off the bearings in the carriage fell out just as you had stated, my question is how to get it back in? I put everything back in the driveshaft and tried to put it back in the transfer case and won't lock in, it's like it is jumping in and out of 4 wheel drive, please help ! It is a 2005 chevy equinox AWD, thank you
+1
Wednesday, September 5th, 2012 AT 11:53 PM
KEN
If you have the cv joint backwards it will not go back in take it back apart and reassemble it the other way.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 AT 4:59 PM