DRIVETRAIN

2006 Chevrolet Equinox

eric.singh13

June, 2, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

AWD equinox the slip yoke which bolts up to the transmission fell off I made a rookie mistake I have the bearing and the bearing cage how do I align the drive shaft back up to the transmission. I cannot get the bearings to stay in the cage. Please help me !

June, 2, 2012 AT 6:48 AM

Which part are you refering to?

June, 2, 2012 AT 6:48 AM

Check the diagram.

eric.singh13

June, 2, 2012 AT 10:04 AM

Component 2 and 3 the shaft slipped out of the flex booth and all the 6 roller ball bearings and the race fell out

June, 2, 2012 AT 11:38 AM

Our database does not have the repair instruction for this so I do not know the exact design of the race used.

The center race can be flipped in the opposite direction while reinstalling but it is not interchangeable and if not correctly installed would result in minimal or restricted flexibility.

Can you post some pictures so I can explain how it is done?

eric.singh13

June, 2, 2012 AT 10:02 PM

I cannot get pictures but ill try my very best to explain. The drive shaft came out of the boot it has a race and it has ball bearings. The end of the driveshaft has a swirl on it. The drive shaft seperated from the flange that bolts onto the transmission. Ive tried putting it back in but it will not lock the driveshaft to turn the rear wheels. Have you ever experienced anything like this?

June, 3, 2012 AT 9:19 AM

I have done this on other makes but not on this, that is the reason I need pictures to understand the problem better.

If the bearings and races are not correctly installed, the joint would not work correctly.

After installation, the flange and shaft should turn as a unit, with sufficient flexibility.

At the flange side, the center portion should have a cap, it could be pressed in. Remove the cap and install the bearings so thay they move freely in their seats and you can flex the joint slightly. After ensureing everything is in order and you have sufficient grease, close the cap and reinstall.

eric.singh13

June, 5, 2012 AT 2:38 AM

Pics

eric.singh13

June, 5, 2012 AT 2:47 AM

Pics

eric.singh13

June, 5, 2012 AT 2:50 AM

Pics

eric.singh13

June, 5, 2012 AT 2:53 AM

It looks pretty simple but its not. Its a locking type of driveshaft. I put the race on the drive shaft then I put the balls in used alot of grease I put it into the end of the transmission but the race gets caught inside of the cover of the drive shaft

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
CV Axle Replacement
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage