Little or no passing gear acceleration

NMA13
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7liter hemi. I have noticed my problem for the last 3 weeks. When I depress the gas pedal to drop into passing gear, or when climbing up a hill, the truck drops into passing gear as intended, and the RPM's rise to between 5000 and 6000, but I continue at my rate of speed or slow down on the uphill. I get little or no acceleration. This never used to be an issue. I don't race my truck so i'm not exceeding any speed limits. Just trying to keep up with the flow of traffic. Recently I had my fuel pump go out on me and thought that was the problem, but have had that replaced and still have the issue. I have changed out my spark plugs as needed. I change my oil every 5000 miles, which comes up between a month and a half and two months. I try to put fuel system cleaner thru every oil change. I don't have any slipping or skipping or anything else out of the ordinary. I used to have a trouble code of P0406, but that has been resolved. I don't think my cat is plugged as I have lot's of air pressure exiting the exhaust still. Only issue is the high rpm with little or no acceleration when needed. The truck feels sluggish with out the get up and go it used to have. What is there I can check or change to maybe get this acceleration power back? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 2:16 AM

I assumed no CEL-lagging acceleration could be caused by one the following below:

Oxygen sensor.
Catalytic converter.
Fuel injectors dirty/sticking.
Mass airflow sensor/Airflow meter.
Throttle position sensor.
Crankshaft position sensor
Knock sensor
Manifold absolute pressure sensor.
EGR Valve
Fuel pressure regulator leaking or defective fuel pump.
Fuel contamination.
Foul/defective spark plugs.
Open spark plug wires.
Ignition coil/Coil packs defective.
Incorrect ignition timing.
Cap and rotor.

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 2:57 AM
NMA13
WOW! That's a lot to check out. AWESOME! Thanks for the immediate reply. I will get on it and check it all out. Will get back to you if I solve or don't solve the issue. This could take some time. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:16 AM
I'm sorry every one of them can contribute to the problem you have-let me know
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:29 AM
NMA13
No need to apologize. I understand completely. I don't know of any other way to explain the problem to better diagnose. So no problem with all that you suggested. All I can add is.I have no issues with stalling. Engine fires right up. No sputtering. Normal acceleration seems fine from a stop position. Truck runs fine until I have to drop down to a passing gear. That's when it lag's and the RPM's rise with no power behind it and my speed stays or drops. I will check into all you suggested and keep you informed. Thanks again.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:39 AM
Check the tranny fluid level and condition-
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:55 AM
DAD3FF
I have a 2000 1500 5.9 with the same problem and have checked everything listed above the fuel at the rail and not sure about the cady and cant figure it out
-1
Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 12:15 AM
PROAUTOTECH
I'm leaning towards the cat being clogged. I had a Ram of my own with the same problem, turned out to be the cat.
-1
Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 5:34 AM