Truck cranks, but wont start

JRILE009
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 2005 chevy silverado 1500 2 wheel drive 4.3L V6. I recently replaced the fuel pump, distributor cap, and rotor bug because the truck would not start. Replacing these fixed the problem, but now its doing the same. Cranks but will not start. I tried the coil and a pressure sensor, but no luck. I had a friend help me to check the fire, and he said it was an orange color. I cleaned the rotor bug, and distributor cap, but the problem remains. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 5:24 AM

Sounds like a weak ignition system

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a spark plug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter, fuel pump, pressure regulator and listen to the injectors are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-fuel-injector

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

-2
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 10:42 AM
SMASHMAN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2003 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104310 miles

I have a 2003 chevy silverado. Tried to crank up my truck after letting it sit a week and it would not start. So I tried to jump it off and it would not start. Its turning over but will not start it will sputter and die. Replaced fuel filter, checked spark plugs and wires all were good and fuel pump works. My security light comes on to when I try to start it.

-1
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 10:14 AM (Merged)

Hi:
If the security light is flashing and it hasn't in the past, there is a problem in the security system. The system basically recognizes a code from the key throught the steering column. If you have a spare key, try that. If it doesn't work, I recommend going to a dealer. They have the test equipment to properly check and pinpoint the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

+1
SMASHMAN

Took it to the dealership and it was a misfiring distributor cap. Got it fixed

+2
COKEMAN615
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Yesterday I left for work the truck started and ran for about four miles and then it just quit. No noises, no smoke nothing. I checked all the fuses and attached a test light to one of the plugs. No fire. Attached a code scanner to the truck and it will not even power up. I tried the scanner on another vehicle and it worked fine. I pulled a plug, lots of gas on it. Any ideas?

+2
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 12:50 PM (Merged)

Try resetting security system if no manual look online for your vehicle.

-1
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 12:51 PM (Merged)