2004 Ford Crown Victoria fuel pump

GORDON_YI
  • 2004 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
(key on engine off) the fuel pump makes a rumbling sound. Car turns over but no start. Fuses and relays are good. Also the speedometer is also erratic when powered on
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 3:50 PM

Have you checked fuel pump pressure to the engine? Have you checked for spark to the plugs? As far as the speedo, can you explain what is happening?
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 5:11 PM
GORDON_YI
I got spark but don't have a pressure gauge to measure the fuel at the rail.
The speedometer shoots up to 60 and then bounces around 30 and 70. And it happens in sequence with this weird rumbling noise from the fuel pump.
Then I just notice my odometer keeps rolling too.
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 6:00 PM
See if the car starts with starting fluid. Also, if it does start for a couple seconds, you need to rent a fuel pressure gauge at a parts store and check it.

As far as the speedo, it sounds like you have a bad vehicle speed sensor (VSS). However, it is odd that is acts up when you hear a change in the fuel pump. Have you checked for any ground issues?
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 6:04 PM
GORDON_YI
Yeah I'm going to go check that out tomorrow. I had a hunch it could be a ground issue but don't know where to start. It'll run for a few second with starter fluid.
Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 6:44 PM
Since it will run with starting fluid, that tells me the engine isn't getting fuel. Either you have a bad pump, plugged fuel filter, or the injectors aren't getting power. When you check the fuel pump pressure, let me know what you find.
Sunday, August 17th, 2014 AT 4:21 PM
GORDON_YI
My neighbor got it taken care of. While we were diagnosing the the fuel system we checked the fuses and electrical. We had dropped a fuse label under not in use in the diagram but was completely not the case.
-1
Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 AT 9:22 AM
Glad you got it fixed.
Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 AT 6:38 PM