Engine turns over but will not start

ROBERTMH
  • 2003 NISSAN ALMERA
Car was driving fine, got home an parked. Left overnight, and now will not start. Engine cranks normally, no fault codes recorded, fuel pump pressure 3 bar. When cranking sometimes it almost seems like it is going to fire up, but it does not. Also replaced crank angle sensor, no difference.

Fuel Pump?

Okay, following your advice, I carried out the following steps, with some odd results.

1. Firstly, sprayed some engine start into the intake, tried to start, and nothing happened, still just cranks with no start.

2. Removed all ignition coils and spark plugs (note, these were replaced less than five hundred miles ago). All spark plugs were very wet with fuel (expected after all the cranking with no start).

3. Dried off and cleand all plugs, then, in order to check for spark, reconnected all igntion coils, inserted plugs into each ignition coil, earthed the plugs. Then, removed the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine. All plugs have good spark.

4. To make sure no fuel in cylinders, I leave the fuel pump fuse out, disconnect coils again and crank the engine for a few seconds to clear out any fuel.

5. Put all plugs and coils back, reconnect (but still leave fuel pump fuse out), try to start the car, and it starts! Runs for a few seconds, then shuts off. (To be expected, fuel pump fuse is out)

6. Put fuel pump fuse back, try to start. Nothing. Engine just cranks.

7. Spray engine start in, nothing, engine just cranks.

8. Repeat steps 1 to 4, and once again, the engine starts, runs for few seconds, then stops.

9. Leave fuel pump fuse out, but spray more engine start into intake. Engine starts and runs. Can keep engine running by spraying small amounts of engine start into intake.

10. Replace fuel pump fuse, engine no longer starts, even with engine start?

Any ideas?

Robert

Please help, at wits end with this one now!

Robert
Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 2:38 PM

Fuel pressure should be at 3.59 bar or 51 psi. At idle. If it is lower than the it could be a fuel filter plug, pressure regulator or pump. Check to make sure you have a good spark at spark plug. Try spraying choke cleaner in the throttle body, if it starts it is a fuel problem, like injectors not working or spraying fuel.

It sounds like you have a EFI replay that is burnt out not supplying power to the ECM. Here is a guide to help you confirm the failure:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

If your engine light is on have it scanned and check to see if there is a vacuum line going to the pressure regulator. Also, we do not have Almera's here in the US so i am using Altima's which we have here. what engine size is this you did not put that down?
one other thing you might want to check coolant temperature sensor as it may be telling the computer that the engine is cold and putting to much fuel in engine.

You can test the injectors for resistance. An Altima with a 1.8L is 13.5-17.5 at 20C so if temp is off it will change the resistance on it. Fuel ppm resistance is 0.2-5.0 OHMS at 25C hope this helps you. The only other thing they give is fuel pump pressure at idle which yours will not do anyhow.

Let me know
+7
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 6:31 PM
ROBERTMH
Hi,

Thanks for reply. The engine is a 1.8.

I have scanned for error codes, and none listed.

I did check fuel pressure, and I am reading 3 Bar, spec is 3.59 but I was not sure if such a small variation would make much difference.
On this particular model, the fuel pump and pressure regulator are a single integrated unit in the tank, with only a single hose feeding the fuel rail (so there is no return, that is handled in the pump).

I will try and test engine temp sensor, but I am suspecting fuel pump more and more. Problem is, they are impossible to get hold of. Two week wait from main dealer, no "pirate" version, and I have tried all the breakers and nobody has this particular type.

Finally I replaced the ECM relay I got confused with EFI and the car started.

Thanks for the help.

Robert
+8
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 6:39 PM
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
+3
Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 6:47 PM
TINY TOON
Hey, I have a problem as well. Mine was working well, no problems at all. Until I parked the car one evening and the next morning I tried to start it, it would just tumble and tumble and it would not start at all. It is an hr15 engine for a y 12 wingroad. I checked the air flow sensor and the jacks. Checked the coil packs and the fuel pumps. What else can I check? Please help me. I have been getting this problem for the past couple days and nobody seems to be figuring the problem.
Friday, July 27th, 2018 AT 8:41 AM
KEN
We need to test the ignition for spark because it sounds like the crankshaft angle sensor is not working. Here is a guide to help us get started look toward the bottom of the guide:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Please run down this guide and report back.

Cheers, Ken
Sunday, July 29th, 2018 AT 4:48 PM