2003 Taurus overheating

RUSSMAN520
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
  • 37 MILES
2003 Taurus cooling fans. Turn on when Car first starts, once they stop they never come on again. Car overheating. Replaced thermostat and fan relay. What else to check and where located please. Thanks in advance
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:19 PM

RUSSMAN520
Also does not come on when ac is on. Another thing to add, I've got a odd looking sensor of some sort that appears to not be in the correct place. It's got a series of coils contained in a metal vented housing. It was found just sitting atop the fan housing zip tied in place. Not my car, so I know very little about it. Thanks
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:43 PM
Check the relays for the fans andnot seeing or knowing what it is you aredescribing makes it hard for us to tell you why or what it actually is. The thing ziptied to the radiator may have worn through the fanwiring. The fan relay is in the junction box 1 in car. Because the pcm turns the fan on then there may be a broken wire someplace
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:53 PM
RUSSMAN520
Thanks for the quick response. I am at work right now but will upload a photo when I get home. The thing that bothers me is that when you first start the car the fans run for a few minutes then shut off. Aside from the pcm, is there anything else that triggers the relay? I have Alldata for all My cars, but this is a friends car. A wiring diagram would be nice at this point.
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 6:42 PM
Hopefully this will come out ok. There is a resistor near the fans it has a blue wire and orange. See if the power goes in and out. There is also a relay for high speed. Maybe one of these are bad.
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 7:45 PM
If you need to enlarge this, save it ina document then enlarge from there. I can't do any larger
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 7:47 PM
RUSSMAN520
Here is the aforementioned "mystery part ". Any clues? I am about to do some more diagnosing and hopefully get this thing fixed. Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 10:57 PM
That is the resistor for the fan I mentioned in my reply. I'd replcae it and see where it goes near the fan it may go someplace on the shroud and the shroud may have broken off. You might test it to see if it's got power going in and out with the a/c on. It shold work then
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 12:38 AM
RUSSMAN520
Still haven't found exactly where the resistors Home is. Even tried replacing the coolant temp sensor in case it was sending inaccurate readings. Tested every relay and wire continuity, and everything is checking out. Could I possibly be dealing with a bad pcm? Not sure what else to check at this point.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 1:29 AM
It cold be a bad pcm, but I doubt it I would go for a bad connection or broken wire first. Where the resistor goes by the fan may be the sshroud is broken at that point there should be a recctangular hole with a cople of small holes for the push pins to go into. It cold also be n a fan bracket.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 1:22 PM