Overheating Dakota

JUSTMRG
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
  • 117 MILES
I have a 2002 Dakota with the 4.7l engine. The truck has 117k. I have an overheating problem. The latest incident happened after driving 3 1/2 hrs it started to overheat after having replaced the radiator, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat (3rd time) and cap. If I kicked it into passing gear it would cool down to the half way mark, but then heat back up within five minutes or so. I played that game the final hour home. I am not getting oil in the coolant or vice versa. I also am not getting any unusual smoke, and I have plenty of power. I am stumped! HELP! Your thoughts?
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 12:53 AM

PROTECH1980
Sounds like you covered most everything there, you may not like my answer, but before we go any further I would get the system chemically tested to find out if there are combustion gases in the coolant, if there are, it is likely you may have a bad head gasket/s or cracked head/s pumping combustion gases into the cooling system causing the overheating. Most shops have these testers as they save us alot of time/ and customers money by diagnosing the problem right, the first time. Now if you dont want to visit the shop, I have heard that some parts stores sell, or even loan out these testers, they are simple to use. Lets start there and see what we have. Hope this helps, let me know.
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 2:18 AM
JUSTMRG
That is kind of what I was thinking to be honest with you. The only other thing I thought of was possibly clogged cats, but.I figure that is more of a long shot. I am thinking someone has previously dumped some headgasket sealant in the thing and clogged the cooling ports. Now my question is this. Replace the engine or just have them tear it down and do the headgasket? I am guessing 3k for the engine replacement and labor, or 1500 for just the headgasket.I am thinking the 1500 dollar difference would be worth an engine with zero miles on it. Your thoughts?
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 2:33 AM
PROTECH1980
Thats a call that you would have to make, if the truck is in nice shape and your gonna hang on to it for a while, the new/reman long block might be the way to go, but I would'nt jump the gun to quick, lets get that test done and make sure we are on the right track before condeming the truck.
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 2:45 AM
JUSTMRG
Gotcha.I know what you are saying. I am just thinking on the fence. Thank you for your reply and thoughts.
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 2:55 AM
PROTECH1980
Your welcome, and thank you for using 2carpros, and let me know what you come up with.
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 3:04 AM