ROUGH IDLE

2002 Dodge Dakota

Robdog74

August, 7, 2007 AT 2:20 PM

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
45,000 Miles
V6, 3.9

I recently purchased this truck and it was in great condition. Truck has a rough idle now. When I drive it, it runs great no problems. When I come to a stop the idle becomes noticeably rough. When I turn the AC on the idle becomes even more irratic. What can this be, please help.

raleigh0

June, 5, 2007 AT 4:35 AM

I have a 1988 Integra too - 266 k+, white.
You sure you have a v6 engine?
Wanna compare notes?

Service Writer

August, 7, 2007 AT 3:15 PM

There are a multitude of possiblilities. You can check the fuel pressure to make sure it is in spec, pull codes to see if anything is recorded in the computer-1st choice. Try carbon removing chemicals such as seafoam.

If codes are present, you need to address those first.
Find them and post them.

Robdog74

August, 7, 2007 AT 8:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Well I tried getting the codes by turning the key on and off three times and nothing comes up, all it says is " p code done.&Quot; I tried fuel injections cleaner but nothing yet. Can it be more seious?

Service Writer

August, 8, 2007 AT 5:32 AM

As far as I know the only way to get the codes is with a scanner. However, there very well may be no codes. It would greatly help narrow down the possiblilities however.

We can still go after this. It's a long list, but that's how troubleshooting can be. Start by checking the fuel pressure when the problem is happening and make sure it is in spec. It should be 44.2-54.2 psi at operating temperature.

August, 8, 2007 AT 6:07 AM

Try my list

Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel

Let me know when you need more, meantime I'll be taking

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_baby_smoking_14.gif

Service Writer

August, 8, 2007 AT 7:37 AM

Thanks for taking over Jesse, I'll be on vacation for a bit. I was following the Mitchell list regarding idle. IT gives a hand full of specifics for component tests that are most apt to be.
CYA!

Robdog74

August, 8, 2007 AT 9:54 AM

Thanks for the infor. You guys are awsome. I'll try your suggestions and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks again.

Robdog74

August, 22, 2007 AT 11:09 AM

All right guys here is the latest. I gave it a major tuneup, spark plugs, cap, rotor and changed the TP Sensor. Runs better but the rough idle is still there, not as bad though. Another thing I forgot to mention is the I get poor gas mileage. I got approx 160 miles on a full tank.

August, 22, 2007 AT 3:12 PM

Try cleaning the idle air conrol valve/speed and EGR valves. This don't work check for vacuum leaks

Robdog74

August, 31, 2007 AT 3:47 PM

All right review time! I changed the IAC, TPS, major tune up. Still has idle problems. I even took the truck to a mechanic who could not find anything wrong with it, he didn't even charge me for the diagnostics because he was puzzeled. He mentioned something was definately wrong due to the observation of the engine shaking like crazy. Recap, when I drive no problems, when I come to a stop, it idles rough, when I turn the AC on even worse. Now I am hearing some kind of whining noise coming from under the dash. I'm about to give up on the DAK and I had so many plans for it.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8