Chevy S-10 loss of power

KRFLOY
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
2000 Chevy s10, acts like its running out of gas. Total loss of power once the truck is warmed up. Out of ideas. We have already done a complete tune up, replaced the injectors, the o2 censors, the maf censor, and the computer for lack of a better idea. The fuel pump and catalytic converter have been tested and are working fine. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:19 PM

Have you checked for vacuum leaks (intake)?
+1
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:21 PM
WRENCHTECH
Can you give us a better description of what exactly happens? Is it just a smooth loss of power or does the engine get rough running or buck or surge or anything like that? Does cooling it down correct things?
-2
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:31 PM
KRFLOY
Not sure about the vacuum leaks but they've checked all the obvious. As far as a better description, I'm not really sure. It's my husbands truck I've only been in it a few times and the running outta gas analogy is the best I have. It doesn't completely stop running but it maxed out at like 30 mph and that's floored. It used to be when you shut it off for 15 minutes or so you could drive it for another couple miles but now it doesn't matter if the car is cool or not it still has no power.
+1
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
WRENCHTECH
That really sounds like a plugged exhaust/converter. I don't know how they would have checked that but they need to take a pressure reading after the symptoms are present.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:47 PM
KRFLOY
He took the exhaust off over the weekend and it didn't change anything. A few weeks ago the converter was hooked up to machine at a smog shop and he drove around with it hooked up, pressures fine. I appreciate your help though.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 6:03 PM
WRENCHTECH
How about the fuel pressure? Did they monitor that while driving?
+1
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 6:17 PM
KRFLOY
Yes sir.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM
WRENCHTECH
And what was it when the problem occured?
-1
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:40 PM
KRFLOY
I'll ask my husband for the exact reading cause I'm not sure but they ruled that out right away.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:48 PM
WRENCHTECH
You may end up needing a scan tool to analyze what the sensors were seeing at the time. If anyone has a professional scanner, have them freeze frame the data stream at the moment the problem is at it's worst.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:52 PM
KRFLOY
Does the check engine light need to be on for that cause that was the problem the last time they ran a diagnostic test on it. It wasn't coding anything out cause the light wasn't on. Who would have a scanner? Any shop or would auto zone rent one?
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 10:05 PM
WRENCHTECH
Pulling codes is not a diagnostic. Not even close. There is a world of information available from the computer but much of it requires professional scan tools. Not the $100 tools they have at AutoZone but the $5000 to $20,000 tools that we have to buy to be able to find these problems.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 10:38 PM