Loss of power

GHOKANS
  • 1999 CHEVROLET S-10
Truck runs fine at city speeds but progressively loses power at highway speeds until down to 40 mph. Pushing the throtle to floor does not help and may result in significant engine stuttering. Shutting down for 5 min will help for about 10 miles.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 5:53 PM

SATURNTECH9
Have you checked for codes in the computer and also had a back pressure test down when it acts up?
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM
GHOKANS
OBD reader at AutoZone prints out code P0420 and says it is catlytic converter problem possibly caused by engine misfire, large vacuum leak or excessive oil leakage into the exhaust. No recent repairs done. Found no vacuum leaks and not burning oil. However I did add a bottle of injector cleaner with previous gas fill up and immediatly after the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. 1st trip on freway since then. Could injector cleaner damage oxy sensor or converter?
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 12:06 AM
GHOKANS
AutoZone OBD reader comes up with catalytis converter problem, possibley caused by engine misfire, large vacuum leak or excessive oil in exhaust. No engine misfire, now vacuum leaks found, not using oil. HOWEVER, I did add a bottlE of injector cleaner a couple fills backs and the "Service Engine Soon" lite came on for a couple days. Gone after next fill up and this is 1st trip on freeway since. Is it possible the injector cleaner damaged the oxy sensor or converter?
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 12:14 AM
SATURNTECH9
What kind of injector cleaner did you use?If you mixed it correctly you shouldnt have damaged anything?I would have the exhaust checked for excessive back pressure.
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 4:53 AM