Engine misfire, Coolant low, engine compartment has white salty spray

TECHROVER
  • 1999 TOYOTA SIENNA
I had the water pump, timing belt and seals replaced around 91, 00. I do regular oil changes, and have noticed some oil drops on floor over last year(though oil level is always fine).

Car was driving fine till yesterday. Today wife complained (after driving five miles) about burning smell and steering wheel was vibrating. Check engine lights came on.

I checked codes - P0300, P0302, P0305. I found the coolant tank was almost empty(some coolant at bottom). I found the engine compartment was sprayed with white salt type liquid and dried (I have photos).

I reset codes. Refilled coolant. I started the engine after refilling coolant it runs fine, but the steering wheel vibrates when engine is in "D". Also the panel light for "D" does not illuminate (P and R lights do illuminate).

Need help to figure out if it is a radiator issue or spark plug/coil issue. I also have some oil leaking from the engine that was already present due to age of the car.
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 8:49 AM

Have system pressure checked for leaks, but with the codes you have it may be a bad head gasket. and it may have sprayed coolant on to the transmission selector and causing your illumination problem.

here is a link to a pressure test video

http://youtu.be/W8kra65m15c

+1
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 9:37 AM
TECHROVER
Thanks HMAC300. I will try to get the system pressure tested today.
Some more information. I started the car and got it to operating temperature. The codes returned (P0300, P0302, P0305). No visible leak except for a few drop of coolant dripping below radiator. The engine and steering wheel vibrates when put in gear(R/D) but not in P or N. I touched the inlet and outlet radiator hoses both are hot with car just parked in garage. Sounds like radiator issue?

I am going to do coil swap to rule our coils/wires. Will put in the fuel injector cleaner to clear nozzles.

Any other suggestions?
+1
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 10:13 AM
TECHROVER
Pressure tested using Harbor Feight Radiator Compression Tester. Radiator has a leak at top inlet pipe. Coil swapping to be done next.
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 12:54 PM
ED-WEEZY21
Just to add to this one a little, a vehicle may cause misfiring codes when its overheating. I would fix the coolant issue first before diving into the misfiring problem just in case it sorts itself out. If the coolant issue is fixed and misfire codes are still present, proceed with coil swapping to see it the misfire follows the coils. Inspect the spark plugs as well while you're in there and make sure they aren't worn down where the spark plug gap is too big. Best of luck.
+1
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 5:55 PM
TECHROVER
Thanks all for the help. After researching and getting help from posters like you, I was able to sort out the problem (hopefully.)
1. Problem#1 Busted radiator - Radiator inlet was leaking as detected using the pressure test. Replaced with new radiator. Drained/flushed/refilled coolant.
2. Problem#2 Engine Misfire cyl #2 & 5. Turned out to be bad ignition coil. It was my mistake earlier to have not labelled the coils properly when swapping. When I did the spark test - it came out clear.
3. Problem #3 Exhaust manifold(Upper catalytic converter) was turning red hot due to unburnt fuel getting there. This was due to Problem #2 and so once that was fixed, it corrected.

I learnt a lot in the process and am thankful to the community for tips. Youtube is also great help.
Friday, May 6th, 2016 AT 4:01 PM
KEN
I'm glad we could help you, please use 2Carpros. Com anytime we are happy to be of assistance.
Sunday, May 8th, 2016 AT 12:34 PM