Dodge Grand Caravan overheating

KOHLLINK
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

After the van warms up(about 2 miles) the temp gauge starts to get close to pegging the hot line. Replaced the thermostat and water pump. Still acting the same. I haven't seen any milky oil yet. Not blowing any white exhaust yet. I see some bubbles when the radiator cap is off when I'm checking the antifreeze. I guess my question is does head gasket sealers work?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 2:31 AM

JOHNSGARAGE99

O.K. First a few simple ideas. Have you cleaned the radiator out? Take the upper and lower hoses off and flush water thru the radiator. Then take a hose and flush thru the radiator to clear out bugs and road debris. You are using a 50/50 mix of good antifreeze? See if your local auto parts store has a cooling system pressure tester. Put that on where your radiator cap goes, start the van and watch the gauge as the van warms up.
If it climbs over 17 lbs you may have a head gasket issue.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 3:40 AM
FIXITMR

If pressure test fails head gasket sealer may fix it. Cheaper than engine dis-assembly.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 4:02 AM
KOHLLINK

Regrouped could this be a bad cooling fan relay? The fans work when in park or at a low rpm. Could fan speed be a problem at higher speeds with the a/c on?

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 12:56 AM
FIXITMR

Fans need to be on high speed with air on.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 3:56 PM
KOHLLINK

Just took the van for a ride till it got hot. The radiator cap was not hot and the top hose was rock hard like the thermostat was closed. Could it be a bad thermostat? I replaced the thermostat. Might of gotten a defective one.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 7:24 PM
FIXITMR

Just remove it/drive it and see how it goes.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 9:37 PM
KOHLLINK

Removed the thermostat and drove for 30 minutes with the air on and the highest temp reading on the gauge was about 3/4 up. It usually runs at about the halfway mark.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 4:39 PM