1999 Chevrolet Lumina Low coolant light flashing

PATRICK GLOVER
  • 1999 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Ok, I am a certified GM tech, recently Nissan master certified, ASE certified. We all run into problems that baffle us on some of these cars but this is a new one. It's a 1999 Chevy lumina, was brought to me by a friend for coolant loss and a shifting problem. I found and repaired a cracked radiator, worn/loose water pump, intake gaskets leaking. I couldn't drive it to check the Trans so since I knew it had a couple of dtcs for the pc solenoid and other shift related codes I bought a filter kit, PC sol. And fluid. Got done with the engine side of it and took it around the block. The car ran great and shifted like a clock. My brother followed me in this car to drop mine at my house and when we got there he said the Trans was not shifting. I got in, drove it and sure enough it was stuck in 3rd or forth gear and the low coolant lamp flashing. Coolant level is right. Trans fluid not burnt and is right on level. I turned the car off, no scanner at this time, restarted and drove it. Shifting great. Until the low coolant light came back on and started flashing. Seems as if the Trans went into failsafe and this time only a vss dtc. Checked vss- ok cleared dtc and all has been good for a week. I know it will return
Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 4:22 PM

DO YOU RECKON THAT MAYBE THE COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR IS SORTA KAPUT?

I FOUND A PIC OF IT AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS ONLINE

THE 3 VIEWS SHOW THAT IT HAS 2 PRONGS IN THE CONNECTOR. PROBABLY SOME ELECTRONICS UNDER THE GEL

IS THAT PUPPY "NORMALLY ON" OR "NORMALLY OFF"?

MAYBE A DOSE OF "STOP LEAK" MUFFED IT UP?

WOULD IT BE FEASIBLE TO UNPLUG IT WHEN YOUR ISSUE STARTS UP? (TO SEE IF IT GOES AWAY)

AT THE ADVANCE SITE, THE SENSOR WAS RIGHT AT $52.I'D CONSIDER THAT AN EXPENSIVE "THROW AT IT" AS JUST A TEST

I'M GUESSING YOU GET A COMMERCIAL DISCOUNT ON YOUR PARTS?

IS ADVANCE AUTO A STORE AVAILABLE TO YOU?

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 8:57 PM
PATRICK GLOVER
Yes, unplugging it while the problem is happening would be a great idea. I've been waiting for it to happen again since I realized the two problems are actually one. I did replace the radiator and swapped the old sensor to the new radiator and while it was out and before I new the whole problem I did check the sensor probes and they were pretty clean. I haven't been able to make it act up again but I'm waiting. It is normally open (with coolant at the correct level it would close the circuit) so I would have to unplug it and jump the terminals in the connector. I guess I'll continue to wait it out because I'm sure it didn't fix itself, and I'll let you know what I find at that point. Thanks
+1
Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 9:30 PM
KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS

.............OTHERS SEEKING A FIX, JUMP IN AND READ 'EM TOO

............EVERYBODY WANTS A HAPPY ENDING!

"A124" WAS STILL WORKING 2 DAYS AGO!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 9:57 PM