AFTER CHANGING THE FUEL PUMP

1997 Honda Civic

jbrharper

June, 27, 2014 AT 10:12 PM

After I changed the fuel pump the gas pedal became unresponsive and even when mashed completely to the floor it is unresponsive. This is a 1997 Honda Civic LX. I changed the fuel pump because the car was no longer starting. I finally got it to start by replacing the fuel pump with a newer one. The car now starts perfectly every time and sounds better than it has in a long time. The gas pedal seems extremely light and easily pushed and does absolutely nothing when pressed. I cant even get out the driveway. Thanks, hope this is detailed enough

caradiodoc

June, 27, 2014 AT 10:34 PM

Sounds like the throttle cable is disconnected. It could be broken too, but that is not common.

jbrharper

June, 27, 2014 AT 10:43 PM

Throttle cables fairly easy to replace? Should I have a mechanic install it or is it safe to do so myself?

caradiodoc

June, 27, 2014 AT 10:58 PM

If you have the skills to replace a fuel pump, you have more than enough skill to do a throttle cable, but first check if it got disconnected somehow. Usually on imports there's a quarter-round cable guide on the throttle body and a soft metal pellet on the end that slides into a hole to attach it.

jbrharper

June, 28, 2014 AT 11:08 AM

Yesterday I placed a new fuel pump in to my 1997 Honda civic. It began to start every single time. Before it would never start. Each time I cranked it up it started yesterday. This morning I am back to square one because the car will no longer start again. The whole purpose of fixing it was to sell it.

caradiodoc

June, 28, 2014 AT 9:09 PM

Sounds like you have an intermittent problem that may totally unrelated to the fuel pump. You also have to consider that fuel pump problems can be caused by things other than the pump itself. I'd start by measuring the voltage on the 12 volt feed wire to the pump. You should find 12 volts there while a helper is cranking the engine.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test