1997 Ford Taurus overheats

UNDECIDED
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
My daughters car over heated and after changing the thermostat she still had the same problem. She drove the car anyway even though I had advised her not to until I could change the Water Pump. Her car went dead while driving it and she said the temp gage never went to the danger zone. I changed the water pump but now it won't start. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when she turns the key. It acts like it's not getting any gas. Any suggestion?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:56 AM

FIXITMR
Squirt some gas into intake throttle plate opening and see if it fires up. And have you checked for spark?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:15 AM
UNDECIDED
Yeah someone had suggested eyther or starting fluid. I didn't think Starter fluid was good for the engine. I'll try what you suggested and squirt some gas into the intake. And No I didn't check for spark. It was getting dark when I finally finished changing the water pump. Lol. Thanks for your response.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:20 AM
HONESTLY---WHEN IT WENT DEAD--HOW MUCH WATER DID YOU/ CAN YOU ADD TO THE RADIATOR. LACK OF WATER MIGHT NOT LET THE TEMP SENSOR REGISTER THE ACTUAL TEMP

UNLESS THE WATER PUMP WAS LEAKING, I'D PROBABLY RULE IT OUT AS NOT BEING THE PROBLEM

I'D MOST LIKELY LOOK AT THE FANS NOT OPERATING, OR INTERMITTENTLY WORKING (MOTOR, RELAY, OTHER ELECTRICAL RELATED)

THERE COULD BE OTHER POSSIBILITIES SUCH AS BUILD-UP INSIDE THE RADIATOR (HAVE PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED OR REPLACE, THE AUTO PARTS STORE FLUSHES USUALLY WON'T TOUCH THE HEAVY STUFF)

A HEAD/ HEAD GASKET ISSUE CAN CAUSE OVERHEATING

DRIVING WITH IT OVERHEATING/ OR WITHOUT ENOUGH WATER USUALLY ATTACKS THE UPPER END OF THE ENGINE 1ST---WARPING HEADS, COOKING THE VALVES. IF THE VALVES ARE TRASHED OR OTHER COMPRESSION ISSUES, THIS WILL SHOW UP IF YOU DO A COMPRESSION TEST ON EACH CYLINDER. COMPRESSION WILL BE LOW, COMPRESSION IS ONE OF THE NECESSITIES FOR INTERNAL COMBUSTION. THIS COULD BE WHY IT WON'T "BUST OFF"

YOUR TURN

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
UNDECIDED
Prior to the water pump, I had flushed it out and changed the thermostat. It was full of rusty water. My daughter told me it only started overheating at a traffic light. I also had checked to make sure the fans were operating which they were. When she still had problems I changed the water pump due to the rusty water. I figured it had eaten up the impellar which was the fact when I changed it. The impellar looked like swiss cheese. My daughter also told me the car was running fine until it went dead. Temp gage went a little above the middle. After it went dead she said is when it stared smoking. I'll do a compression test. It trys to start when I turn the ignition key on but wont run. I hope it's nothing internal.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 3:10 AM
THE SMOKING WAS COMING FROM WHERE?

MAYBE YOU COULD GET LUCKY!

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON?

DO YOU HAVE SPARK?

WHAT IS YOUR FUEL PRESSURE?

Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 3:18 AM
It may not be getting fuel. Check fuel pump pressure and check to make sure there is a good hot blue snapping spark to the plugs. Finally, if the engine starts with starting fluid, then you know it is fuel related.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 3:18 AM
UNDECIDED
I'll check for spark in the morning. Smoke was coming from under the hood and "Not" the exaust. I'll also try starer fluid as well. Thanks
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 4:10 AM