MY CAR HAS BEEN STALLING AFTER IT HEATS UP.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

97Cavalier

March, 24, 2012 AT 12:56 PM

Recently, I would be driving my car (however long, whatever distance) and it would be fine. I'd stop at the store or something for 10-15 min or whatever, and start my car up. It starts kinda rough, and when I put it into gear and push the gas pedal, it kind of sputters, and eventually stalls out. After trying to restart it multiple times, it finally catches. And after letting it sit for at least an hour, it starts up, and runs fine. There sometimes is still a little "sputtering" when idling at a stop light, but other than that, when I get going its fine. What would be causing something like this? Thanks for the help!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

March, 24, 2012 AT 12:59 PM

Symptoms indicates possible low idling speed. Get the throttle body and IAC cleaned and retest.

Wrenchtech

March, 24, 2012 AT 2:03 PM

Sounds like you could have a fuel pump getting hot and binding when restarted but you would have to take a fuel pressure reading at the moment that occurs.

97Cavalier

March, 24, 2012 AT 5:52 PM

I'll definitely look into those, thanks! But if it helps, today it is pretty cool, and rainy and it didn't show any signs of wanting to stall. Where yesterday, when it was stalling, it was pretty hot out. If that could effect it at all.

March, 25, 2012 AT 12:08 PM

Check the coolant level and Engine Coolant Temperature sensor as well.

renegade65

January, 4, 2013 AT 1:01 AM

Ignition control module icm or ckp crankshaft position sensor

Wrenchtech

January, 4, 2013 AT 1:04 AM

He last responded in March. I would think he has it resolved by now.