Car shuts down while driving down the road

TINA IVEY
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My car shuts down while driving down the road and it seems to me that is does the mostly when the weather is hot, I also sometimes hear like a whining sound and it is coming from the back of the car. The car has shut off driving several times and your answers will be appreciated. Thanks.
Saturday, September 10th, 2016 AT 12:11 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure.

Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem is not present at the moment.

If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.
These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the positive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, September 10th, 2016 AT 2:40 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content