DRIVING HOME ONE DAY AND THE VEHICLE JUST SHUT ...

• jessesandberg
  • 1996 GMC Sierra

Driving home one day and the vehicle just shut down, did not cough or spudder or give any signs of problems, just shut down, engine will try to crank over but will not start, theres air and spark and seems to not have enough fuel pressure, changed fuel filter, fuel pump, was going to try the fuel pressure regulator, and ignition control module, is there any other things I could try, and what may be the problem? The engine was running fine hours before.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 4:54 AM

• DrCranknWrench

Have the fuel pressure checked to make sure it is within spec.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 4:56 AM
  • jessesandberg

If its not to spec what could I do to get it back to proper pressure?

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 7:33 PM
  • DrCranknWrench

I would think the fuel pressure regulator is about all that is left. If it is in spec you might have a dirty fuel system and need to run some good cleaner. BG44K is about the only one that really works. You have to go to a car dealership to get it at the parts counter and its $20 a can, but well worth it. I usually suggest 2 cans if you never ran a cleaner and expect it to act funny as deposits are removed during cleaning.

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 2:02 AM