TROUBLE CODES

2000 GMC Sierra

Harrison1

February, 14, 2009 AT 7:31 AM

2000 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

P0171 and P0174 trouble codes.

First time I got these codes, cleaned MAF, changed air filter, new gas filter, and cleaned EGR. Drove thru the drive cycle, everything good. 2 weeks later, got them again. Cleared codes, changed spark plugs, ran injector cleaner thru 2 tanks full of gas, drive cycle good no codes or pending codes. Passed State Inspection. 2 weeks later, light and codes again?

O2 sensors working.

Any Clues?

February, 14, 2009 AT 9:02 AM

Can you put a scanner on it, that shows live engine data and freeze frame data. The freeze frame data might show you what was happening when the codes set. Intermittent egr or vacuum leak if it isn't an injector issue/fuel issue.

Harrison1

February, 14, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

Yes I have a scanner with a freeze frame. Hate to have it connected all the time but I'll just have to do it. Just never know when the code is going to trip. I forgot to mention that I cleaned the PCV valve as well at the last reset. Motor is very smooth all the time. Can't find any vacuum leaks externally. Any clues where to look for one? I have been loosing coolant (about a quart a week) and am beginning to think that I may have an intake leaking near a coolant port. I can't find any coolant on the ground or under the hood. No contamination in the oil either. Any one seen or heard of the intakes leaking on these motors (5.3L)? That would explain the lean bank and its both sides!

February, 14, 2009 AT 12:49 PM

I believe the freeze frame data is stored in the computer memory, just like the codes. You shouldn't need the scanner hooked-up all the time. When you erase codes, it may also erase the freeze frame data.

Harrison1

February, 15, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

OK, thanks. Didn't know that. I will wait for light then try to get to the freeze frame data. I use a ACTRON 9180 Scanner. I will try and get the freeze frame data from the computer using this scanner once I get the light again. Will keep you posted.

Any clues on the coolant?

I just hooked up the scanner and checked for freeze frame data and no freeze frame data present.

February, 15, 2009 AT 11:05 AM

Does your radiator have composite end tanks? I did see a bulletin about the filler neck sealing area having imperfections. I don't know if that is your problem, it could be several things.

Harrison1

February, 17, 2009 AT 9:28 PM

OK thanks for the tip. The radiator does have composite sides. I have looked up and down both sides and cannot find any fluid. That is what's so frustrating. I can't find any fluid anywhere. I thought I found it when the composite connector at the heater core (white one) poped off when I was removing the EGR valve. Installed a new one and still am loosing fluid. I'll keep looking. Had to add about a 1/3 of a gallon this morning. Got " low coolant" light yesterday on the way home from work.

February, 18, 2009 AT 9:48 AM

Does the oil look ok? If the leak isn't external, it may be internal. I'm not aware of any gasket problems on this vehicle, the bulletins didn't show anything. I don't know if a leak detection dye would help or not?

Harrison1

August, 8, 2009 AT 10:29 AM

No fluid in oil. Change the oil regurlarly. Starting to think that have a leaky heater core. However the fluid that comes out is clear, never green.

tismark

January, 13, 2011 AT 2:58 AM

Common problem regarding loosing coolant: Leaking coolant pump throws out fluid, finding the leak is not obvious because it only leaks when going down the highway or higher engine speeds.

March, 1, 2011 AT 10:17 PM

Check it out, you never know.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast