Fried ground wire on alternator

CAT206
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN
In removing the alternator the location of the ground wire was melted off of the back, tracing the wire back a little showed the melted other side. Need to replace the alternator and have to replace the ground wire, it is wrapped with the power wire and I need to know where it goes.
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

DOCFIXIT
There is no ground wire can you ID color? Think it is Black/Gray if so power feed from BATT cable through a fuesible link. That maybe what fried. Was ALT light on before?
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:45 PM
CAT206
I am attaching a photo of what is left of the wire, I can go try to pull on it to see what color the wire sheathing is, but I didnt notice a color before.
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:53 PM
DOCFIXIT
Yep that is power lead
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:55 PM
CAT206
Ok so how does one go about changing it? Is there a diagram? There is no room to work in this vehicle so it is very hard to trace the wires back
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:59 PM
DOCFIXIT
Remove ALT see if ypou can cut insulation away. Will need to soilder a 10AMP fuselink. May end up having to replace charging loom. Have ALT tested to see if that is reason for wire frying
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
CAT206
Ok alt was bad, as I said it had melted the metal around the connector. So alt is out and we are going to replace the entire wire, however I am in need of a diagram as to where this wire goes. It feeds into a larger bundle of wires and we lose the wire in the mess, so if we can get a diagram as to where it goes we can just bypass the wiring bundle and wire it directly to where it goes. And Docfixit - Thank you for all of your help, you have been absolutely wonderful!
Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 9:54 PM
CAT206
Was finally able to uncover enough of the wire past the burnt part to see that it was a black and grey wire, traced it around and found out it links to a green wire at the main fuse box, where the pos battery cable connects. Still planning on replacing the entire wire now just searching for a place to buy one. Again thank you for all of your help.
Saturday, June 9th, 2012 AT 2:31 AM
DOCFIXIT
Part of wire needs to be 25AMP fuselink wire
Monday, June 11th, 2012 AT 6:10 PM
CAT206
We pulled a used wire (full wire with both ends) off an identical vehicle in a local junkyard, we ran it in with other wires and connected it correctly, the van is up and running. Thank you for all of your help.
Monday, June 11th, 2012 AT 7:29 PM
DOCFIXIT
Good job
Monday, June 11th, 2012 AT 7:35 PM
WRENCHTECH
[quote]Part of wire needs to be 25AMP fuselink wire[/quote]

For a 100A alternator?
Monday, June 11th, 2012 AT 7:35 PM