Will not start

RORTA
  • 1996 DODGE AVENGER
Hello everyone,
Here is my dilemma, my car was starting to stall on me would not stay idled unless I held down the gas pedal for about a minute and now it wont start at all!
So here is what I have figured out so far, there is no power to the fuel pump unless I bypass the fuel pump relay, I have bought a new fuel pump relay and still did not work. Even when I bypassed the fuel pump relay and got it pumping the car would still not start. I have also changed the fuel filter which did not help. The only light I see on the dash is the oil light but when I crank it over it disappears. Also, the car will start with starter fluid. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. My next guess would be the crank shaft sensor even though there is no check engine light on. I just bought the car for $800.00 and it is sad that it is just sitting there.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 8:11 AM

This may be an anti theft issue try locking your drivers door with key then unlocking it, then try to start that should reset security. If still no fuel pressure check pressure with a gauge. auto parts rent it. if more serious like still not starting then it should be scanned for codes, but not an auto part scanner. See link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
+1
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 9:46 AM
RORTA
Awesome I will try that. One of the main issues is even when I turn the key I still cannot get power to the fuel pump without bypassing it.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 10:03 AM
That really sounds like an anti theft problem so try what I suggested. If you recently disconnected battery or a low battery may have set it off.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 11:56 AM
RORTA
Okay tried the anti lock that you told me it did not work. I was able to pull a code on it p1767.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 5:44 PM
There is no code 1767 if it is 87 it is a transmission pressure switch, but that would not stop from starting car. check all fuses under hood and fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it. then see if any coil is getting power. See link for fuel pressure.
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 5:09 AM
RORTA
Okay I will try it but don't know if it will work since I am still not getting power to the fuel pump so it will not kick on. I can get power if I bypass the relay though.
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 5:26 AM
One thing I forgot is to check your ASD relay that may be the problem as it supplied fuel pump relay. It is on left side of firewall. Guess it is kind of crazy to check fuel pump when you have to jump relay to get pump to work lol. If you can check white/red wire in picture single arrow that comes from PCM double arrow comes from ASD relay. Although that may supplying power already. What you might do also is check the ground wire it may not be letting relay get ground then if no power from PCM check wire for continuity should have about five ohms or less be careful if you disconnect PCM as those are very small connectors. Finally it may be a bad PCM as well or a bad connection at PCM so you could try some dielectric grease at PCM connection.
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 7:04 AM
RORTA
Sounds good thank you for the help again. Is there anyway to bypass the ASD relay to test it? Or is there a ASD relay reset on these vehicles? And I checked the power going into the relay I have power on the 30 and the 86 I believe. I will double check this.
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 2:10 PM
If you have power on 30 and 86 then ASD is probably good, but here is an article on how to check a relay. See link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit
Thursday, June 15th, 2017 AT 4:03 PM