2008 Dodge Avenger car wont start

SSODA19
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Car was running fine. Parked at home after returning from store. 3 hours later went out to leave again and the car would not start. It cranks over but will not start. When you try to start it, and let go, it will continue to crank by itself for about 10-15 sec. All lights work in car, headlights still work. I turned the key to the on position to see if any indicator lights come on. The check engine light is tge only light that stays on. Before this incident with it not starting, there were no indicator lights on, and the car gave no sign of any problems.

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 AT 8:34 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like your crankshaft angle sensor has gone out but to be sure please follow this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

-2
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:48 PM
ETHAN HOWELL
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

I replaced the ignition and battery in it but it won't turn over or anything but as soon as I replaced the ignition it started just fine and ran just fine but the next morning it wouldn't do anything no click or anything

-1
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:50 PM (Merged)

Have you tried a jump-start, or did you check if the battery was drained while it was sitting?

-1
ETHAN HOWELL

I went and got a brand new battery yesterday still won't start

Unfortunately Mitsubishi took a very simple and reliable circuit and filled it with complicated computer controls. The starter is run by the Totally Integrated Power Module, (TIPM). You need a scanner to see which inputs to that module could be preventing its operation.

ELIASADC
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

I have the mechanic manual for my car and I have a picture of it but I just cant find it too many wires all over. Can you tell me where it can be
I was installing my radio a couple of days ago. I removed the dash to install the radio. While doing that I found this module box (i attached picture in this email) next to the ignition key slot. I though it was a module (which I realized was the ATD box for the car) for the steering wheel radio control or something. So out of curiosity I unplugged the connector from the module and as I went to remove it, it wouldn't come out so I tugged it more and nothing so I decided to leave it alone and then I put the connector into the module.
I installed my radio and it worked but when I went to turn on the car, it did turn on with out a problem but then it immediately turned off. I thought it was a fluke so I turned it on again and the same thing. I did it a couple of times more until it wouldn't turn on anymore. The car wasn't dead at all but it just wouldn't turn on. I thought it had something to do with that module I touched but I didn't see anything physically wrong.
I replaced the ignition switch, the starter motor, the crank and cam sensor and still the car would do the same thing. I also have a remote start key and when I pressed the button to start the car from a distance, it turned on and didn't turn off. I opened the door and placed the key in and it turned off.
I took out my ObD2 scanner and it gave me an error code: P0513 Incorrect Immobilizer Code.I went online and the only thing I found that I can do is disconnect the battery from the car, push on the pedal to drain any left juice and leave it overnight. I did that and in the morning I connected it back and the engine turned on but immediately turned off again.

Though I called one or two locksmiths and they tell me its electrical and not the immobilizer because I still have access to my car. The only thing I havnt checked is the starter relay I have the mechanic manual for my car and I have a picture of it but I just cant find it. Can you tell me where it can be

JOHNNYT73
  • 945 POSTS

I believe what you unplugged was your WCM (wireless control module). You may have to take it to a dealer and have them reprogram/replace the module to communicate to your keys.

NIECEY520

Not an answer but I'm having a similar issue was wondering if you could tell me what you did to fix it?

JESSICAHOPE93
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Last week I tried to drive the car and couldn't because it wouldn't go over 10MPH, later that night it wouldn't start at all. Before that there was always a ticking noise, and the car would occasionally shake sometimes when driving faster. What could it be? How much does the problem usually cost to fix?

All of your questions are impossible to answer. You haven't provided any test results or clues we can use to make a possible diagnosis as to what is causing the problem. Reading the diagnostic fault codes is a good starting point. Those will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition.

We don't get involved with costs here because there's way too many variables. We don't even know what is wrong yet. Whether parts need to be replaced, and if so, will they be new or used? You need a mechanic to make a diagnosis. He will put together an estimate based on his findings, and that will often include additional optional parts and services he recommends to prevent other problems from developing in the future. You can decide if those preventive services are a good value based on the amount and type of driving you do.

-1
WISELL
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Checked all fuses all intact not signs of problems there. Tryed changing arround relays to see if problem was there no change happened. Any ideas

+1

There is a fusible link between the alternator and starter. It is a green wire going to red wire. You should see the link. Probe with a test light if pwoer on one side and not the other you ned tofix that.

PORSHAPEA
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Ok so I have an 08 dodge avenger, all gages come on and it won't start. It shows a RED DOT, ABS LIGHT AIR PRESSURE LIGHT, TRANSMISSION LIGHT, AIR BAG LIGHT. Just about everything. Battery is fine. Radio comes on lights work. Windows WONT go down. Can you help me out here. Jump start was unsuccessful!

JOHNNYT73
  • 945 POSTS

Could be the security system. Does the engine turn over at all when trying to start, or does nothing happen? I would start by trying to remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 10 seconds then reinstall them on the battery, and see if that does anything for you.

-1
SWICKEVAN
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Hi my avenger turns over strong but the is no power to the coils and getting no fuel to the cylinders a quick check gives me errors p0685 and p0688 both refer to the asd how do I diagnose this issue am I looking for a bad fuse or relay?

HOMER1967
  • 899 POSTS

The codes are for the automatic shutdown relay or circuit. And your symptoms support that issue. This issue is pretty complex and requires some very specific testing procedure and specific equipment. It could be anything from the p.C.M. To the relay to the circuit. So I am going to have to suggest that you take this one to a shop for diagnosis atleast. Then maybe we could help you with the repair procedure.

• 2008 DODGE AVENGER

Car wont start, code p0562 I replace battery and alternator, nothing took out starter had it checked and it was bad, put new one on tried to start it and it started smoking by the starter and it do not start. Need help

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:51 PM (Merged)

Have a pro checkc this out as it can be a connectin or a bad pcm

BUNNIEBROWN
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER

2008 Dodge Avenger 4 cyl

have a 2008 Dodge Avenger, but it wont start. When I tryed to start it it makes a clicking noise. I tried to jump the car, and the car started but when I turned the car of and tried to turn it back on it wont start. Whats wrong with it?

OBXAUTOMEDIC

since the vehicle will start when you jump most likely it is the batter. Jump it and go by your local auto parts store and have them test the battery and charging system.

.