A/C COMPRESSOR NOT ENGAGING

1996 Chevrolet Silverado

David DeLoach

November, 3, 2011 AT 11:14 PM

Just bought a 1996 silverado. A/C compressor had been replaced with a bypass pulley. I installed a new compressor, evaporator, condensor, orfice, dryer, & high pressure liquid line. Checked fuse in side of dash, and the relay fuse under the hood. Charged with 1 can of 134a and it wouldn't take the 2nd can. Started truck and turned on the A/C by pressing 'A/C' button on control panel. It does not light up and the unit does not start. Bypassed cycling switch and the unit will not cycle the clutch. Wiring harness is plugged in to the front top of the compressor & into the high pressure switch coming out of the 'Suction & return' line block on the back (top) of the compressor. Also pulled the control panel out of the dash to make sure everything was plugged in. Can't find a problem. Any suggestions?

Wrenchtech

November, 3, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

Sounds like just a blown fuse.
Fuse #12 (25amp) under the dash

David DeLoach

November, 4, 2011 AT 12:00 AM

Checked fuse 12 it's good. Also 10 amp relay fuse under the hood. Also good

Wrenchtech

November, 4, 2011 AT 12:05 AM

If the A/C button isn't lighting up, you either have a bad control head or no power to it. You need to troubleshoot the circuit.

David DeLoach

November, 4, 2011 AT 12:44 AM

Thanks I'll check it this week end.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement