1996 Chevrolet S-10 Clutch/transmission

YELLOWPICKUP
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I had a new clutch slave cylinder installed because I was having difficulty changing gears and leaking fluid.
When work was completed truck started fine, there was good pressure in the clutch pedal and it was easy to engage reverse and then 1st gear. The ride quickly got rough. As I released the clutch pedal to move forward
I noticed that I had to give it more gas then usual. It drove fine for several blocks, but the trouble began when I came to my first stop sign. When It was my turn to go, I put my truck into first gear and as I was releasing the clutch pedal while giving it gas the truck lurched forward and the engine died once my foot was off the clutch pedal. My mechanic can't figure out what's wrong. Can anyone help identify what needs to be checked/ fixed!
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 1:28 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
If you replaced the master cylinder the slave cylinder might be bad too. Try replacing it to get a smooth clutch engagement. Not as likely but I have seen it happen is failure of the pressure plate or sometimes the throwout bearing can come off the clutch arm and cause issues.
These will reqire the tranny to be pulled.
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 2:29 PM
YELLOWPICKUP
Thanks for your response. The issue of stalling and lack of acceleration began right after I had the slave master cylinder replaced. Would it be the master clutch cylinder that is bad or the pressure plate? How to troubleshoot to tell which it is? The clutch engages with ease, The problem begins once the clutch peddal is released.
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 3:08 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
I would think since you got a new master cylinder you should stsart out by replacing the slave cylimder as it is probably worn out too. The shifter linkage might be worth looking at as well as motor and tranny mounts.
Sometimes you can sneak a peek in the throwout bearing area by removing the dust boot by the slave cylinder.
This way you might be able to telll if the throwout bearings are on the arm right.
With the mileage if you never did a clutch pressure plate and pilot bearing I woulod suggest you jsut get a kit and replace it all.
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 3:43 PM
YELLOWPICKUP
Hi, Thanks for your response. I appreciate your imput, but am frustrated since in both my original question and subsequent one I clearly stated that the lunging truck and the dying of the engine began after the master brake cylinder and master slave cylinder were replaced. As soon as you release the clutch pedal the truck come to a crawl. My truck could not make it up a minor hill.

What would cause this when the trucks acceleration was fine before these two parts were replaced.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 AT 3:31 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
There might be a problem with the master cylinder power assists. It is possible that it is leaking vacuum internally. Check it by pumping and holding the brake before you start it. If the pedal drops under foot as you start the truck then it is probably okay.
Other than that I cannot see a relationship between the clutch and performance issues. The first thing I would do besides all of this to diagnose the engine issue is to have the fuel pressure checked and replace the fuel filter if applicable.
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:22 PM