Turn signal issue

ROCKETTEER
  • 1995 JEEP CHEROKEE
UPDATE: My dad and I spent several hours yesterday investigating the turn signal. We first unbolted the relay panel from under the dash and removed its back cover. There are five wires entering/exiting the combo flasher relay (Tridon EP-27). We found that by jumping across the yellow/red wire (presumably hot) to the purple wire in the center, the turn signal would function! Then we located the path of these terminals within the relay (i.E. On the circuit board) and soldered a jump wire across the two terminal connections. We found that the hazards and turn signals functioned correctly like this, and thought we had solved the problem. HOWEVER, we realized that this "solution" came with its own new problem: when the ignition is turned on, the relay would click constantly (without actually engaging the lamps). This noise is unacceptably annoying, so we had to remove our jump wire and are thus back to square one. I continue to stand by my argument with my dad that the relay is NOT the problem, since I already tried replacing it with a brand new one to no effect. So, I'm convinced that there is a continuity or power delivery issue between the turn signal switch and the relay. That is, we know the relay can actuate the turn signal lamps as it is supposed to, but something is not sending it the necessary power feed in order to do its job.

Two wiring diagrams are attached.

Thanks for further advice!

-Chris
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 6:21 AM

ROCKETTEER
See previous post here:

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1995-jeep-cherokee-sport-40l-inline-6cyl-turn-signal-issue
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 6:25 AM
DOCFIXIT
Would you provide production date and is there a trailer tow lighting on Jeep? See diagrams does fuse?Relay look like this?
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 2:01 PM
ROCKETTEER
Docfixit:

Yes, those fuse/relay panels match mine. The first is the fuse panel in driver's side footwell. The second is the fuse/relay panel that is under the hood of the car, near the battery. What is missing, however, is another relay block that is just below the steering column behind the dashboard. It is this latter relay block that contains the combined T.S./Hazard flasher.

YES, the Jeep does have trailer tow lighting.

I cannot provide a production date, but the Jeep was purchased brand new in 1995.
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 2:10 AM
DOCFIXIT
Not sure what you see at steering coluumn but flashers are in I/P/ box. Has all the Gerry rig wirirng been removed?
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
ROCKETTEER
The fuse panel diagram you included is found under the dash, but the slot for the turn signal flasher is empty, as is the hazard flasher. These two cylindrical relays are not present anywhere. The combined turn signal/flasher relay is just behind the dash, slightly to the right beneath the steering wheel. I know for a fact that this is the turn signal relay because we have made the turn signal work by playing with this relay. Please read a previous post from me with the exact same title as this one. In it I explained all of the troubleshooting that has gone on so far and I've tried to explain that the fuse/relay diagrams in the Jeep manual and in maintenance manuals are NOT what is seen in my Jeep. I can provide photos if necessary.

As for gerry-rigged wiring. Once upon a time there was an anti-theft ignition kill device installed. However, this has been completely removed along with all its associated wiring. There is trailer lighting, but it was professionally done and I would not be able to recognize any of its wiring unless you told me what to look for.

If you consider what we did while testing the relay (please refer to previous post), it's really pointing toward some power delivery to the flasher relay. We could jump two leads and cause the TS to work. I'm attaching two wiring diagrams. Please look over these and note the hot connection from the ignition switch. This is what we suspect is the problem - that the flasher relay is not getting its operational power from a hot lead.
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 2:34 AM
DOCFIXIT
At multi-function flasher check for power on yellow/red and black/white wires? If power put test light on black wire operate turn signals What happens?
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 7:05 PM
THERED95SPORTXJ
I have the same problem sorta but the pictures up above you showed the second one doesn't match mine but the 1st one does. I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee sport. But it was made in July of 94 but the 3rd relay box isn't it either so I'm stuck because my turn signals and Hazards don't work
Wednesday, April 11th, 2018 AT 10:54 AM
KEN

It sounds like the flasher is out or you have lost power somewhere here is the wiring, flasher and fuse panels for you car please follow this guide and see what you find.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
-2
Friday, April 13th, 2018 AT 10:28 AM