DENTINO3
  • 1995 JEEP CHEROKEE
Headlights shut off completely after high beams are turned on 30 seconds. The lights will turn on again after the lights are turned off completely for a few seconds. This pattern repeats each time the high beams are turned on. There appears to be some sort of relay or circuit breaker involved here, but I do not know where to look.
Sunday, November 14th, 2010 AT 2:08 PM

What year is the vehicle? Older ones have a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. That one and the dimmer switch should also be checked for overheated wires and connector pins. Burned terminals can be cut out of the plastic connector body and new terminals can be inserted individually. They should be soldered for a good connection even if you use the crimp-on style terminals.

Sunday, November 14th, 2010 AT 2:16 PM
There are no circuit breakers in your system. Just fuses and relays. On the junction block on the left side of dash there is a relay for thehigh beam headlights, try replacing that as it may not be working. There is also a 10 amp fuse there, check that. There is also another fuse #3 at your underhood lelectrical center. Check all of these for poorconnections. Itcan also be your body control module which has relay controlers inside of it. I can't send a diagram as we can't upload on here yet. Hope this helps.
Sunday, November 14th, 2010 AT 2:23 PM
Ok when I first answered, your year doesn't come through and I looked up 2003 you have a highbeam relay by the left side of radiator. Also you didn't say whether you have drl 's or not as that module may be interfering it's by the blower motor. But check the fuses for contact. It can be your dimmer switch as well it may not be makinggood contactas well.
Sunday, November 14th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM
DENTINO3
The jeep is a 1995 Cherokee sport. It does not have daylight running lights. While driving this evening the headlight low beams cut out on three different occasions for a few seconds. This is in addition to the headlights cutting out when the high beams are switched on. Turning off the headlight momentarily seems to correct the problem, at least temporarly. I doubt that it is a blown fuse but I will check these connectors. Which relays control the low and high beams? Their locations?
Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 7:06 AM
DENTINO3
I will pull the switch tomorrow and check for loose connections and heat damage. I'll let you know what I find.
Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 7:08 AM
DENTINO3
The dimmer switch works well so far, but I cannot tell you if the inst lights went out when the headlights went out. I'll have to check that out, when the lights went out tonight I was on the highway doing 65 so I was too worried about where the road went to notice if they were on or off.
Monday, November 15th, 2010 AT 7:59 AM