NEW STARTER WILL NOT CRANK THE ENGINE

1994 Subaru Legacy

firastmm5

December, 3, 2011 AT 12:31 AM

Car is very hard starting: and when the starter is cranked, all light go out and the engine will not crank. The started was just replaced.
Battery was just replaced!

December, 3, 2011 AT 12:41 AM

Double check battery and starter motor connections-possibly a starter relay or ignition switch problem-also check the transmission range switch

rivermikerat

January, 31, 2012 AT 3:52 AM

Firastmm5, did you get the car started yet?

firastmm5

February, 1, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

There were 3 Engine codes, when I checked them, and one was for the Coolant Temp. Sensor. I replaced the sensor and reset the (ECM) Computer, and also, fixed a loose spark plug wire on the Number 1 cylinder. Everything is OK now!

firastmm5

February, 1, 2012 AT 8:48 PM

Hard staring when cold, was the initial issue. The issue with the starer not working was related to the ignition switch. One of the the engine codes, was for the ignition started switch. It will be replace when I get a new one, but in the mean time I am using the existing switch very carefully. I can rotate the switch (now 'out' of its original position) to a point where the car will start, but if I turn it too far, the circuit shorts, and nothing works! Again, I need a new ignition started switch. On a side note, If I have the auto, trans, shifter in anything but 'park' or 'neutral', I cannot start it! (I think I did this a few times) Duh!

rivermikerat

February, 1, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

Good to know you're most of the way back to trouble-free driving. It definitely sounds like getting that starter switch changed will solve a world of headache.

On the shifter setting issue: That's normal. It's a safety feature. It's called Park/neutral starter lockout or neutral safety switch.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide