No Spark At Plug Random Runs And Randomly Dies

EXPYOU
  • 1991 FORD RANGER
I have a 91 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 distuberless truck and recently the truck has lost spark to the plugs u can turn it over and over and no spark there when I ground the plugs. I replaced the edis also replaced the crankshaft sensor and also replaced the coil pack. Ignition switch has been replaced. The computer and the ecc relay has been replaced. It fires up and sits there and running and it dies out of the blue like u shut off the key. When it is running its running fine. When it dies it has no spark at the spark plug again.I replaced all spark plug wires also. I bought a expesive code scanner and scaned it for codes and no codes are reading. What could be the problem?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:35 AM

Have you checked fuel pump pressure when this happens? Also, under the hood in the relay block, you will find an EEC relay. Switch it with another one with the same part number when this happens to see if it will restart. The EEC (electronic engine control) relay will shut both spark and fuel off to the engine if it is bad.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 1:23 PM
EXPYOU
I appreciate the reply.I have checked the fuel pressure and its still there and u can hear the fuel pump run when it dies and wont start.I replaced the ecc relay again this moring in hope of it being bad but still does same thing.I went to fire truck up this moring it fired up and ran for about 15 minutes in park and then just died.I also replaced the shorting bar and still same problem. Any ideas?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 2:42 PM
Wow. Have you replaced the crank sensor? One other thing, are you getting power to the injectors when it dies?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:12 PM
EXPYOU
Ya I got power to injectors. I also got 12 volts at the coil. Ya I replaced crankshaft sensor. Coil pack. Computer. Ecc relay. Fuel pump relay. Even the edis was replaced. Whats weird it dont read no codes either.I even replaced the temperuter sensor.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:19 PM
Do you have a scanner that can monitor while the engine runs to see if there are any changes? A thought, MAP sensor. Have you checked it? (I don't think they used a MAF in 91, but I could be wrong).
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:31 PM
EXPYOU
I bought the ob2 obd1 scan tool 3140 to scann it it has me do a scan of when vechile is off and start it up and run a scan checks multi things but I havent figure out of this scan tool can run a scan on my ford ranger while its running but I know it will on my brothers chevy silverado. Ya I check the sensor also.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
EXPYOU
I am in the garage and it did loose the pulse to the fuel injector just a second ago and now has no pulse to fuel injector or spark
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:40 PM
Check for power to the EEC. See if power is lost there.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 7:14 PM
EXPYOU
Ok which wire would I check for power loss?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 7:15 PM
Only one will supply power. Get a good ground and check each one with the KOEO.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 11:31 PM
BIGMIKE89
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have a 2000 ford ranger and it is doing the EXACT same thing. Runs sometimes and then randomly shuts off. Won't start unless it sits for a few hours. ANY info you can share would be awesome!
Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 7:39 AM