Overheating

MATE
  • 1990 FORD FALCON
Overheating only when in idle and when carry heavy load up long steep hill, Ive changed everything, still the same, notice a little water come out of tailpipe when cold, I thought that's normal, but thick black silt inside of end tailpipe, I cut inside of thermostat out (better flow), and after that I started the car in 30 to 40 seconds car ran rough had to use gas pedal to keep car going and about a 1/2 a cup water came out of tailpipe, so I think maybe head gasket? (I know I have to put another thermostat in), please help longways from home.
Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 3:13 AM

Try block and pressure testing it to rule out the headgasket, cracked head, block and intake manifold leak-
Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 3:20 AM
MATE
Hello rasmataz, already had new (50/50 water/coolant) in car when cut out old thermostat, put new thermostat in no water coming out tailpipe now, doing pressure test, first I took out all spark plugs using one spark plug at a time from front cylinder to back cylinder bridging terminals 30 and 87 on stater relay, to check noise difference in each cylinder front ones sound OK (from 3rd from front, to back of motor) sound only a little difference if at all, next done compression from front to back of motor
1/175
2/175
3/165
4/150
5/160
6/170
but firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4
don't know where to start checking intake manifold for a leak (can you tell me), had a look and listen touching hoses for air leak looks OK to eye & ear, if you think the compression is OK, then I might go buy a brand new 3row heavy duty radiator next week, as mine I got from doggy radiator place, (think they just painted it)it supposed to be reconditioned, took for another drive heat OK only when drive flat roads or in park engine running, (when in park and hold brake on while press down accelerator to bring up revs the temp will rise fast, when take pedal off temp comes down the same with hills after I get to top of hill then temp comes down, also to add is I didn't let heat, over halfway on gauge but coolant came out of overflow hose from coolant reserve tank where you put water in, also when I tap brake pedal off & on while engine going in park, temp guage jumps back and fourth 2 millimeters, I think I have said enough any ideas would be much appreciated, PS how do I donate for your help mate.
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 7:26 AM