Engine overheating

BUGHOUSE1220
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 89 chevy 1500 with a 350 my problem at the moment is overheating. I have replaced all the hoses, thermostat, water pump and radiator. Before replacing the radiator I flushed the heater core and the block. There is no water in the oil or oil in the radiator. All the spark plugs are dry when I check them.
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 6:10 PM

Try bleeding the cooling system could be airlock- if it continues have it block and pressure tested-
+2
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 6:15 PM
DJCL
Are you getting good heat out of the heater.
+1
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 7:21 PM
BUGHOUSE1220
System is full and the heater is working great but still over heating. Im also getting water coming out of the tail pipe, not much but alittle, I cant tell if the fluid is going down as of yet but I dont think in lossing any coolant.
-2
Saturday, April 7th, 2012 AT 2:40 AM
BUGHOUSE1220
Also no smoke from the exhaust is noticable
-1
Saturday, April 7th, 2012 AT 2:41 AM
DJCL
When is it running hot? Highway ot idling
+2
Saturday, April 7th, 2012 AT 11:56 AM
BUGHOUSE1220
Idling I havnt taken out on the road yet, once I get the cooling figured out I am changing tranny fluid, filter and rear seal. But engine first.
-1
Saturday, April 7th, 2012 AT 11:40 PM
DJCL
IF YOU REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP AND REV THE ENGINE DO YOU SEE COOLANT FLOWING IN THE NECK. IF THE TRUCK IS STARTRD COLD HOW LONG WILL IT IDLE BE FOR OVER HEATING
+3
Sunday, April 8th, 2012 AT 1:27 AM
BUGHOUSE1220
From a cold start it runs fine and gets to operating temp in a normal time period but it pauses and then continues to climb as if the thermostat isnt opening so I am going to try changing it again and see if that will fix the issue. Could be a faulty part
+1
Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 2:41 AM
DJCL
Let me know
Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 10:52 AM
BUGHOUSE1220
Ok I checked the radiator while running flow is fine. Changed thermostat now im not over heating but my heat is staying above 210-230, where it used to stay aroung 180- 190. It never makes it to the red line tho. I took it out around the block and never over heated but never got under 210 either.
+3
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 3:26 AM
DJCL
Get a block test kit to test for hc in the cooling system. The head gasket might be leaking.
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 6:50 AM