I do not have any breaklights though, all my.

SRKLEPPIN
  • 1987 DODGE RAM

I do not have any breaklights though, all my other lights work including the hazards. I replaced the break switch with no luck. I checked for power/ground over the four wire plug and get nothing, I do get continuity over the 2 wire plug from the break switch to ground. Just not sure what/where to check next.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 10:07 PM

RANDICO

The combination switch. Or the turn signal switch, the brake light signal goes from switch to turn signal switch to brake lights

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 10:22 PM
SRKLEPPIN

No power at all at the brake switch. Checked all the wires to ground from the switch.

Four terminal plug
Blue/Red tracer - open to ground
White/Red tracer - open to ground
White - open to ground
Blue - open to ground

two terminal plug
Pink - no power - continuity to ground
White - no power - continuity to ground

removed the brake switch and rechecked with same results.

Would it matter if the turn signal works as well as the hazards and running lights?

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 10:45 PM

First thing if the answer provided doesn't say expert below it then it is not formone of the mechanics on site here. If your turn signals work then it's not the multi function switch. If you don't have power on the pink or white wire that is your problem the pink lead is power for the brake light switch and comes form fuse 9 I am assuming this is a pickup and not a van. So check that fuse first if the fuse is good then you are shorting out or the wire is grounding out but if it's doing that it should blow the fuse. So it may be just a bad/poor connection at fuse box. Or the wire has been cut and isn't grounding out. It should not have continuity to ground. Also if you have cruise control that is a little different but pink is still the hot wire.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 11:07 PM

Oneother thing check these two fusiblelinks for power going through them, a test light or volt meter will work fine.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 11:11 PM
SRKLEPPIN

Thank you hmac. I will check the fusiblelinks. I removed the break switch and check for continuity on both pink and white - with break switch removed - and both are grounded.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 11:27 PM
SRKLEPPIN

I has cruse control

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 AT 11:30 PM
SRKLEPPIN

Fusible links look good. Trying to trace the circuit but cant. Don't have any idea what the six wires goto and my repair manual schematics are about worthless.

Sunday, March 17th, 2013 AT 3:47 AM

Check the links not they look good it may have lowvoltage going through them. Six wires from what brake switch? I fyou would have sent correct info in first place then I could have sent correct harness drawing.

Wednesday, March 20th, 2013 AT 2:41 PM
SRKLEPPIN

Never mind hmac300 (expert). I did post that it had six wires before your first reply. I appreciate your help but I have discovered that it is the turn signal switch that is bad, Randico had it pegged from the beginning.

Wednesday, March 20th, 2013 AT 10:23 PM

Normally if your t/s switch goes you odn'thave an y turn signals either.

Wednesday, March 20th, 2013 AT 10:39 PM