WON'T START

2004 Ford Explorer • 110,000 miles

Turn ignition to crank won't start or turn over and no click sounds. Friend with me checked fuses seemed ok. Turned key to on crossed starter, engine turned over but wouldn't start. He suggested either ignition sitch bad or a neutral switch. Any ideas and to figure out if ignition switch or neutral switch? Can one or other be shorted outor crossed to narrow down problem, or does it sound like something else? Thanks guys.
Cwe909

There are a few fuses and a relay invovled #23&12 in the junction box under the hood as well as a starter relay deal with starting. There is another under the dash and that is fuse 29. If the pcm doesnt' get any power requesting start then the relay won't work. Soyou need to check all of those. Also check your grounds. It still could be an ignition switch or nuetral safety switch but youneed to check that stuff first.

Will check out sunday a post what I found. Is the starter relay related to fuses 23, 12 or 29 or is it something or somewhere else.

Cwe909
Ya they are all related, here is the diagram for it.

Thanks for response. Am a firefighter and little busy. Wind up going to be tuesday before I get to check out those fuses and relays. This car is my sons' and i'm letting him use my extra vehicle temp. Until we get his figured out. Reply in a day or so. Thanks

Cwe909
Ok folks, I chrcked relays/fuses under hood and in passenger compartment with an ohm meter. All checked to be good. Where do I go from hers e. Guess neutral switch I know its on steering column I beleive, did not see it in engine compartment unless its under a/c compressor or under dash. Hmac300, please continue to advise.

Cwe909
Neutral switch could be ont ehtransmission as well I havne't looked where it is. Try switching one of the relays that is like that see if that cures it. Then you know what it is.

Hmaceoo tried alternating relays didnt work. Going to replace ignition switch. Got bottom cover off see switch unpugged harness from it but cant figure out, switch has 2 push in clips to get it to release. Good news is 1 is on bottom that I can get to, bad news other clip is on top of switch and that I cant figure out how to get to. Help.

Cwe909
I'm sending a pic along it just says to release the two locking tabs and remove switch. I'm also sending a pic of multifunction switch in case you need to take that out to get the ignition oout. The multi function is turn sig, wiper, etc.

Couldn't get to that screw without pulling steering wheel cover, and that's a definite no tha thanks. Finally got switch out, had to break it. Put new one in and guess what, it still wont crank! Okay whats next. I'm guessing neutral switch and I read if I can find it, it can be jumped? What's the next step boss?

Cwe909
On the previous answer I sent a schematic of the starting system. I told you then to check this out to avoid aggravation like replacing unecessary switches. In the very first answer I said to check that, all you need is a test light or volt ohm meter. Obviously you didn't. The schematic for starting tells you where all the switches are including nuetral switch. Do yourself a favor, have a friend help you an dput a test light on the starter and see if you are getting a bright light. If it is and it won't turn over then you need a starter. If it cranks and won't start you have wasted my time an dyours as you havne'tgiven correct diagnosis from the beginning.