FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM

1984 Volkswagen Rabbit

moltengijoe

February, 25, 2008 AT 1:08 PM

1984 Volkswagen Rabbit 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 115000 miles

my fuel system cut out on me the other day, I replaced the fuel pump with a used pump from a 81 rabbit it works, then my fuel filter, then discovered the relay was bad so I fixed it, now it still isnt pumping out fuel to the engine any idea on what it may be?

February, 25, 2008 AT 1:14 PM

Check the fuel pressure and also for an injection pulses from the injector/s.

Do you have spark? If so spray some carb. Cleaner into the throttle body -did it start and die-if so continue to troubleshoot the fuel system.

moltengijoe

February, 25, 2008 AT 1:24 PM

Ive got a spark the injectors are clean its just im not getting fuel even before the fuel filter

it cranks and turns spark and all just no fuel

February, 25, 2008 AT 1:46 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn the key to run-if so check the fuel pressure-if not check for power at the fuel pump connector.

moltengijoe

February, 25, 2008 AT 1:50 PM

Yup I hear it start pumping when I turn the key, how should I check the fuel pressure?

February, 25, 2008 AT 5:22 PM

Please! Do so and comeback with your readings.

cognito

March, 13, 2008 AT 11:55 PM

Their is a fine mesh cup in the gas tank which is a prefilter. Remove the fuel tank sender and you will see it at the bottom of the tank. Their is a handle on the filter[like a pail]that you can reach with a coat hanger, pull and discard the filter.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe