OUT OF GAS BEFORE TANK IS EMPTY

1983 Volkswagen Rabbit

LBauer42

September, 2, 2010 AT 3:08 PM

1983 Volkswagen Rabbit 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

I have a 10 gallon tank on this car. When full, the gas guage shows full and drops as expected as gas is used. However, I get just above half, and I run out of gas. I fill it up with 3.9-4.3 gallons of gas, and it's full again. The previous owner mentioned putting a new tank on it.
Is it possible that it cannot pull gas from the remaining 5.5-6 gallons in the tank? How can this be fixed?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/568532_31759_1309702502230_1220611822_30722260_4049032_n_1.jpg

September, 2, 2010 AT 3:12 PM

Could be a problem with the gauge itself or the fuel sending unit

Dr Loot

October, 6, 2010 AT 10:58 PM

Rasmataz It is correct it " Could be a problem with the gauge itself or the fuel sending unit" when the previous owner exchanged the fuel tank most likely he did not get it back together correctly, if you open up the back hatch pulled the carpet back on the right side by the back seat you will discover and access panel, remove the Philips screws the panel will come off and you will be looking at the sending unit, disconnect the fuel line and the return line, take a pair of channel locks pliers and twist the plastic collar counterclockwise, once the collar is removed you will be able to lift the fuel sending unit out of the tank. Once you have done you should notice a pick-up at the very bottom it might have fallen off and that is why you can not pick out the last 5 gallons, do as I have instructed and let me know when you find.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Change