FUEL PUMP

1981 Volkswagen Rabbit

moore571803

March, 29, 2010 AT 7:00 PM

1981 Volkswagen Rabbit 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have a diesel & everything I look up tells me the fuel pump is in the fuel tank. I pulled the access hatch under the rear seat & did not find it with the sending unit. I have not pulled the tank yet but would like to know if it could still be in the tank as I see no other wires either before I pull the tank. Also it is no where else that I can find, I have followed all the lines to the motor & didn't see it. Also where is the relay located?

mathiaso

April, 1, 2010 AT 6:12 PM

Hello moore571803

All Type 3 and Type 4 models, as well as 1975 and later Type 1 and Type 2 models have an electric pump. The fuel pump is located near the front axle on Types 1, 3, and 4, and near the fuel tank on Type 2.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the fuel pump wiring. Pull the plug from the pump but do not pull on the wiring.
3. Disconnect the fuel hoses and plug them to prevent any leakage.
4. Remove the two nuts which secure the pump and then remove the pump.
5. Reconnect the fuel pump hoses and wiring and install the pump on the vehicle.
6. Connect the battery cable.
ADJUSTMENTS
Electric fuel pump pressure is 28 psi. Fuel pump pressure is determined by a pressure regulator which diverts part of the fuel pump output to the gas tank when 28 psi is reached. The regulator, located on the engine firewall, has a screw and locknut on its end. Loosen the locknut and turn the screw to adjust the pressure. Do not force the screw in or out if it does not turn.
(The diagram below contain information about all types and there fuses included fuses for fuel pump.
(check your email for this diagram)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c15280266ee9_2.jpg

Dr Loot

June, 16, 2010 AT 2:40 AM

The 1981 Volkswagen diesel only has one pump, it's called the injection pump, located right on the front of the engine, I have been working on these vehicles since 1978 and I have never found an injection pump to fail, only to leak fuel, you must have other issues respond and be more specific, with your problem.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe