Truck will not start

CODY GRUBE
  • 1986 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I checked the connections to the battery and the battery voltage all seem to be good. I replaced the ignition starter switch, I cannot hear any clicks or rotations from the motor. I jumped the starter solenoid and the truck turned over. I have lights to my dash and headlights, they do not dim when I try to start the engine. I checked my ignition fuse and it was good. I do not know where the starter relay is or the neutral safety switch. What do you think is wrong?
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 10:02 AM

The neutral safety switch is a good suspect. It is on the side of the transmission, by the shifter linkage.

Look in the under-hood fuse box, if you have one, for the starter relay. If it is not there, I will have to consult a service manual.
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 5:24 PM
CODY GRUBE
The previous owner either took the under the hood fuse box out or the truck never had one.
Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 AT 5:43 AM
The original diagram is almost impossible to interpret due to the bizarre way the ignition switch is drawn. I cannot find any reference to the neutral safety switch on the wiring diagram, but it is listed as being in one of two locations, either at the base of the steering column, or on the side of the transmission.

As best I can tell, if you go to the ignition switch, you should see a purple wire and two red wires. The purple goes to the starter solenoid. One of the red wires comes from or goes to the fuse box. Check if you have twelve volts on those red wires. I am still looking for where the neutral safety switch is in the circuit.
Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 AT 6:53 PM
CODY GRUBE
Okay I have seen the a switch on the base of the column but, it only has two prongs and the auto parts stores only have either five or four prong switches.
Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 AT 7:57 PM
You do have an automatic transmission, right? I will be back tomorrow to see how you are doing. I am going to try to find a different diagram. I do not see this on the diagram I have now, but from memory, a lot of wiring harnesses are made for use with an automatic or manual transmission. When a manual is used, there is usually a clutch switch so that pedal has to be pressed before the starter will work. When an automatic is used, a short jumper harness is plugged in, in place of that switch. Look in front of where the clutch pedal would be and see if there is a two-wire connector with a short loop of wire in it. If you see that, tell me the colors of the wires going to it.
Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 AT 8:09 PM
CODY GRUBE
I have a automatic transmission.
Friday, March 3rd, 2017 AT 5:55 AM
KEN
Hi Cody,

I found this wiring diagram for you, please use a test light to see if you are losing power somewhere.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-neutral-safety-switch-works

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 10:33 AM