Truck blowing white smoke from exhaust upon starting and running a little rough

SANDRA RIDER
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Had water pump change at a shop. Drove it home and it was running a little rough. So I stopped and had it put on diagnostic tester at AutoZone said number one coil misfiring. Changed all coils and plugs. Code went off. Got home parked and sat overnight. Started the truck it started to smoke white smoke heard gargling sound next to fire wall. Shut it off let it cool. Checked radiator no bubbles fluid full in radiator and reserve bucket. Checked oil no milky oil. Check cap on oil no discoloration. Also hose on top was not hot and it was soft. Could this be a thermostat issue or a temperature sensor issue. New radiator and hoses all changed at the beginning of this year. Not wanting to think blown head gasket. And no I'm not a mechanic. I am a disabled woman who can't do my own repairs. And can't afford to keep putting good money after bad. Help please! Mechanic said they saw a small oil leak at head gasket and changed gasket also. Had my oil changed at the end of August and haven't even put 800 miles on it. But when I checked my oil it was very low to the point I couldn't even read it on the stick. Never ever ran low on oil I'm the only owner and have always changed oil every 3,000 miles. Thanks for any advice.
Saturday, October 19th, 2019 AT 1:55 PM

BMDOUBLE
Did the other shop replace the water pump upon your request or did they diagnose a cooling system concern? I ask because if they diagnosed a cooling system concern they are on the hook for their good or bad diagnosis, meaning that it is a recheck that they have to re-diagnose at no charge. But if it was at your request they should still work with you on checking it out to see if it is a head gasket issue, which can be verified a few different ways because it does sound like a head gasket issue.

This guide can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/white-smoke-or-steam-coming-from-the-exhaust-pipe

Please run down this guide and report back.

+1
Saturday, October 19th, 2019 AT 3:05 PM
SANDRA RIDER
They diagnosed it. Thank you
Saturday, October 19th, 2019 AT 3:14 PM
BMDOUBLE
Okay, very good. So give them the opportunity to make it right.
Saturday, October 19th, 2019 AT 9:44 PM
SANDRA RIDER
I will try, but just think I will be chasing my tail on this one.
Sunday, October 20th, 2019 AT 1:38 AM
KEN
BMDOUBLE is one of our best! Please let us know what happens
+1
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2019 AT 6:20 PM