1998 DODGE RAM SHAKING AND EXHAUST

• FrustratedWoman
  • 1998 Dodge Ram
  • automatic

Yesterday our truck started shaking at around 45mph, you feel it less when you exceed 55 mph. With that the exhaust sounds like it is straining and it makes fairly loud odd noise. It backfired once when my husband took me for a ride to show me the problem. The check engine light came on and he is going to try to go get the codes after work. He HAS to have his truck for work so we HAVE to keep it running.
I was reading different things online with people having similar problems. Some where saying change the O2 sensors, the spark plugs and wires, possibly catalytic converter.
I know once we have the codes we may have a better idea of the issues.
Also when he turns the overdrive off the shaking and the wah wah wah sound stopped.
Any help PLEASE!

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 5:50 AM

• hmac300

I tmay have a trans issue. If any of the codes are 0700 to 0795 have a trans guy look at it.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 6:28 AM
  • FrustratedWoman

Ok thanks. He is going to pull up codes when he gets off work. Will the code reader at Autozone throw out Tranny codes?
Oh and also I notice in the morning that a little white smoke comes out of the tail pipe. Not sure if it does it at other times of day, if it is a part of the problem, or if it is a sign of a problem.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 11:46 AM
  • hmac300

Autozone can pull tranny codes up and if white smoke when warm then have coolant system pressure checked for head gasket leak.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:00 PM
  • FrustratedWoman

Yes it is warm when it does it. It is just a little bit of white smoke for right now. For that we would (hopefully) only have to change the head gaskets as long as there is no cracked head or block?
That is 1 issue down.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:10 PM
  • hmac300

Ya head gaskets go first but have it checked. First as it may be something else. Heads and blocks normally don't crack unless it's been severely overheated.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:17 PM
  • FrustratedWoman

When I drive the moment I see the temp rise I find a place to pull over.(The husband is slightly braver) The truck has overheated twice and we can not find a leak but we check the coolant level every 2 days and it seems to loosing it. We checked freeze plugs, hoses, radiator and no leaks or cracks. Would the water be traveling into the oil? Would it make the oil milky or something to that effect?

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:21 PM
  • hmac300

Get it tested first. Head gaskets do funy things. If no internal leaks then check radiator for cold spots if there are the radiator is no good. After it's tested then recontact.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:27 PM
  • FrustratedWoman

Ok Thank you.
Will let you know what the code reader throws.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 12:32 PM
  • FrustratedWoman

He got a Cylinder 8 misfire P0308.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 3:21 PM
  • hmac300

Do yourself a favor and have a pro diagnose what is wrong these are very hard to find the problem as it can be a sensor as well as plug, wires and or injector or basic engine stuff. It is to hard for a diy to dump money into parts only to have the same problem.

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 AT 6:03 PM