Troubleshooting air ride compressor

RWOSR
  • 2001 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
The air compressor ran perfect on a 400 mile trip. After arriving home, the next time I needed to use the car, the compressor did not start up. It hasn't worked since then.
I've changed the airbags because of the miles accumulated, the ones removed were the original bags. This made no change to the compressor running.
I want to troubleshoot the remaining parts of the system but I'm not sure what steps to go through.

Could you please send me advice on what steps to take, first to determine if the air compressor is good or not and then any other things I should check for a possible cause of the compressor not working?
Thanks,
Rick
Monday, November 4th, 2019 AT 6:09 PM

MOTOR MASTER
Hello my name is Dave.

First thought I had was something that happened to me when I had my Town Car, I accidentally hit the air ride switch in the trunk when taking something out of the trunk. If there is another component of the air ride not working properly then it's a matter of trouble shooting until you find it.I have attached a diagram of the system to assist you in this procedure. I would recommend starting with the fuses and then move on to the relay. To test the compressor itself the easiest way is to use a jump wire to put power to post 87 of the relay socket once you remove the relay. That should power up the compressor and make it run regardless of any other issues the system may have. Unfortunately these cars are known for the air ride module to fail and when that happens it is usually more practical to convert the car to steel springs and the only real way to be sure is a process of elimination. Please keep us up to date on your progress and thank you for using 2CarPros!
Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 AT 3:54 AM

Sponsored links