Transmission replacement instructions please?

ANDRZEJ KAMELA
  • 2007 FORD F-150
Hi, I need to ask if you can give me the instructions and guidance on how to remove the transmission? Will a transmission out from a crown vic work? Thanks, Andrew
Wednesday, December 30th, 2020 AT 10:48 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

This video shows the job being done on a similar car but the process is the same with instructions below to help you with your truck.

https://youtu.be/3vJAojsrfuU

There are 3 option transmissions for the F 150. I need the numbers ff the tag on your current transmission to be sure. This video shows the job being done on a similar car but the process is the same.

You do realize the donor is a 2 wheel drive and you have a 4 wheel drive in the truck? That alone may require a lot of work to adapt.

I attached wiring diagrams of both transmissions. If you are looking for a simple answer, I say no. I would get the number off the tag and find the correct transmission.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Thursday, December 31st, 2020 AT 4:46 AM
ANDRZEJ KAMELA
Hi Roy, this is a picture of the sticker from my truck transmission.
-1
Thursday, December 31st, 2020 AT 8:39 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, the numbers you need to match is PKF-GKO.

Let me check on a transmission for you. Can you give me your zip code?

Thursday, December 31st, 2020 AT 8:48 AM
ANDRZEJ KAMELA
Canada British Columbia v4n 4y5.
This is a sticker from Crown Victoria transmission.
Thursday, December 31st, 2020 AT 8:50 AM
ASEMASTER6371
I attached a picture of the unit you need from the web site www. Car-part. Com.

You have a 4R75 transmission.

Thursday, December 31st, 2020 AT 8:51 AM
RUDYS13
  • 2006 FORD F-150
So I was driving home from my university, I had to speed up to get into another lane and when I did my truck jumped a bit and it wasn t speeding up. The Rpms would go up but it wouldn t speed up. Then I noticed the trans oil was leaking and I pulled to the side and had it Towed home. Any help on what it could be and if it s a easy fix maybe. Just wanted to get someone else s experience so if I take it to a shop I will know I m not getting ripped off
Wednesday, March 24th, 2021 AT 1:36 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
From the sounds of it, the transmission forward clutches have been damaged from lack of fluid. That would explain the reason it will not forward but only reverse. Looks like you are going to need a rebuild. I attached a guide for the transmission issue below and also the procedure for removing the transmission.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems

Removal

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
2. Disconnect the battery ground cable. See: Battery > Procedures

3. NOTE: If transmission disassembly is required, drain the transmission fluid.

- Loosen the transmission fluid pan bolts and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

4. After the transmission fluid has drained, remove the transmission fluid pan and drain the remaining transmission fluid from the transmission fluid pan. Inspect the fluid pan for any visible debris (metal particles or clutch material).

5. If transmission fluid contamination or transmission failure is confirmed by debris in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan, the transmission fluid cooler bypass valve must be replaced. If the vehicle is equipped with an oil-to-air (OTA) cooler, a new OTA must be installed.

6. NOTE:It is not necessary to torque the transmission fluid pan bolts in this step.

- Install the transmission fluid pan.
7. Mark the driveshaft flange and rear axle pinion flange for correct alignment during installation.

8. Remove the 4 bolts.

9. Remove the driveshaft.

10. Remove the fuel line bracket from the extension bolt.

11. Disconnect the selector lever cable end.

12. Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) connector.

13. Remove the HO2S connector from the selector lever cable bracket.

14. Remove the selector lever cable bracket from the transmission.

15. Remove the flexplate inspection cover.

16. Remove the rubber access plug.

17. Remove and discard the 4 flexplate-to-torque converter nuts.

18. Remove the plastic starter motor electrical connector cap.

19. Remove the starter motor electrical connectors and the ground wire.

20. Remove the 3 bolts and the starter motor.

21. Disconnect the transmission cooler tubes and position them aside.

22. Remove the bolt from the RH cylinder head for the transmission filler tube and position the filler tube aside.

23. Remove the 2 bolts for the exhaust hanger.

24. Remove the RH exhaust shield bolt.

25. Remove the LH exhaust shield bolt.

26. NOTE: Make sure that the transmission is securely fastened to a suitable transmission jack.

- Position a suitable high-lift transmission jack under the transmission.

27. Remove the insulator nuts.

28. Remove the rear transmission retainer bolts and remove the crossmember.

29. Remove the insulator bolts and the insulator.

30. Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the wire harness from the transmission.

- Disconnect the digital transmission range (TR) sensor electrical connector.
- Disconnect the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor electrical connector.
- Disconnect the turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor electrical connector.

31. Disconnect the solenoid body assembly electrical connector.

32. NOTE: If the transmission fluid has not been drained, position a drain pan and install a suitable plug into the transmission.

NOTE: Note the length and the location of the bolts during removal.

- Remove the 7 transmission-to-engine bolts.

33. WARNING: Secure the torque converter in the transmission during removal or installation. The torque converter is heavy and may result in injury if it falls out of the transmission. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

- Leaving the transmission in a horizontal position, slide it back far enough to install the special tool. Install the special tool.

34. NOTICE: To remove the transmission from the vehicle, it will be necessary to put the transmission into a nose-down position to clear, and not damage, the flexplate and the exhaust system.

NOTE: Make sure that the special tool is in place and the transmission is securely fastened to a suitable transmission jack before tilting the transmission.

- Lower the transmission from the vehicle.

35. If the transmission is to be overhauled or if installing a new transmission, carry out transmission backflushing and cleaning. See: Automatic Transmission/Transaxle > Procedures
36. Remove the special tool.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
JIMMY MEADE
  • 2005 FORD F-150
Need a new transmission found a used 4r70e from a two wheel drive, but I have a 4r75e four wheel drive.
KEN

If everything looks the same wiring connectors etc you should be okay just remove the tail housing and swap it over, here is a video of a transmission removal on a similar car, the procedure is the same.

https://youtu.be/3vJAojsrfuU

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
-1
AB AUTOMOTIVEREPAIR TRANSMISSIONS
  • 2004 FORD F-150
  • 1 MILES
I am having a debate, and I was hoping you could give me your perspective on this. It is regarding 2004-2008 Ford F150/E150/E250 4.6/5.4L. Now Transtar and other sites all call it an E. But our shop calls it a W because of the plug, and the bolt sticking out. (I'll include pics) My boss has taught me 04-08 = W (and some early production 2009) and 09-14 are E's. The W also has a hole in the bell housing. Now, we haven't been wrong when selling any of these, but why does the internet and transend/transtar call it an E when for all intents and purposes it has W traits?
KASEKENNY1
It has been many years since I had my Ford training but the way I remember the difference was the E was for vehicles with electronic controlled throttle.

I will try to locate this training material because I am seeing the same thing you are online. It looks like different websites are confusing these labels and actually interchanging them on different vehicles.

Good old Wikipedia doesn't seem to help either as some of these vehicles don't look right.

I will find the training document and get back with you.
KASEKENNY1
I could not find the training book that I was thinking of but I reached out to one of my Ford dealers and they agreed that the E is for electronically controlled transmissions and the other are mechanical.

So all the drivetrain components inside them are transferable between the units but the electronics are not.

Hope that helps a little more.
+1
AB AUTOMOTIVEREPAIR TRANSMISSIONS
Thanks. I understand that the guts are all interchangeable. But does that make the 04-08 W's or E's in the E150/E250/F150 4.6/5.4?
KASEKENNY1
I am showing that it depends on years. The E didn't come in until 2004 but wasn't used on all vehicles. So I attached some pretty good detail that I just found on this but it appears Ford was phasing them all over to the E over a few years.

Make sure you see the 70 or 75 as that will matter for sensor location. Again the internal parts are the same but the 75 is stronger and I think has a second speed sensor.

Hopefully this sheds the light needed.
AB AUTOMOTIVEREPAIR TRANSMISSIONS
Thanks.
CHEFCOREYWRIGHT
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I have a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor transmission, it's going into a 2004 F150. Will I need a shorter driveshaft?
Wednesday, March 24th, 2021 AT 1:37 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, the Crown Victoria has to be the same 4R70W. If it is not, it will bolt in but will not be controlled electronically.

Can you give me the number off it. The letter you listed are for assembly plant location and date.

CHEFCOREYWRIGHT
PKE DP0
7P134776
ASEMASTER6371
I attached a image of the label on the drivers door.

Can you give me the 2 letter code for the transmission?

CHEFCOREYWRIGHT
The transmission going in is RFF3UP7A040AA.

Sponsored links