Transmission will not shift

TRACY WHITE MARTIN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Removed transmission and had it rebuilt about two years ago. Never an issue but lately I have noticed that when it is cold, when first started up and placed in drive, it will change gears from low to second and will not shift on up through the gears into third and so on. After a couple or so miles when engine is good and warmed up, then it will change flawlessly in any gear. There is never any slipping. I thought maybe transmission filter so I bought that and the fluid required and put that in myself. It seemed to make really no difference. I did not notice any metal whatsoever in the pan. Beautifully clean. I am at a loss. Can anyone offer any advise? Governor pressure solenoid?
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 12:44 PM

KEN

Lets start by checking for codes.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, May 25th, 2017 AT 9:05 PM
TRACY WHITE MARTIN
Ok. Check engine light is not on but I will have it checked and respond back asap.
Friday, May 26th, 2017 AT 5:23 PM
KEN
Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, May 27th, 2017 AT 11:57 AM
TRACY WHITE MARTIN
Ok had car scanned, came up with a code indicating bad torque convertor solenoid. So I bought that as well as 1 other round solenoid directly next to the torque converter that the parts store stated was also a torque converter solenoid. I also bought 1 of the shift solenoid. Dropped the pan and installed all 3 of those. Topped off with fluid, and test drive it. No difference. Except that now, when I take off it shifts so smooth from 1st to 2nd, but that's it. When it got up to speed when it should change on into 3rd, it seemed almost like you pushed it up into neutral. It felt like it was changing, but the rpm's, climbed but it was basically in neutral. As soon as I let off the gas and lightly stepped back on the gas it was still in 2nd. While the pan was off earlier I noticed there was one other what looked a shift solenoid and one other round in shape solenoid. I have no idea if they have anything to do with my issue or not but I'm desperate. Now up until a couple days ago it would shift into 3rd, after the engine warmed up and fine the rest of the day, but now it acts like it only has first and second and goes into neutral after that. I have never felt the transmission slip at anytime during all of this. The pan was the cleanest, lack of any metal shavings, I've ever seen. I'm betting for help and a direction. Please.
Thursday, June 1st, 2017 AT 4:05 PM
KEN
Nice work getting the shift solenoids replaced. After you replace them did you clear the codes? If so it sounds like the servo seal that is bad which will require some disassembly. Here is some guides to show you how to check the seals.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 8:33 AM
TRACY WHITE MARTIN
Ok thank you. Will this require removal of the transmission or can this be done simply by dropping the pan? I'm just praying the entire transmission isn't gone and requiring a complete rebuild. What do you think sir?
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 9:51 AM
KEN
You should be able to do this repair without removing the transmission. If the seals are okay then the transmission will need to be rebuilt.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 11:21 AM