1988 Toyota Corolla Starting Troubles

RPEMBERTON
  • 1988 TOYOTA COROLLA
The car is a Corolla FX and is carbureted, if that makes any difference at all. It always will be able to turn all the dash lights and radio on, but almost every morning it will take a few minutes to get started. When trying to start it the engine will usually turn over several times repeatedly, and then I'll let it rest and turn the car completely off. It takes me about three or four rounds of this to finally get it started and keep it started. But usually, if I can get it started in the morning, I won't have much trouble with it for the rest of the day. Sometimes, especially if it has sat for a few days, when trying to start it in the morning, the engine won't turn over at all. However the lights still turn on and a jump start will get it going right away. I had the battery and starter tested and they were fine. The battery terminals are very clean. Thank you.
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 2:45 PM

BMRFIXIT
If you to give it a jump it will fire up with no problem
you had the battery tested !
Should have it tested 1st think in the morning and after it sat in the car all night
as you may have power drain over night causing the battery to weaken and spin the engine quick enough to fire

if the jump doesn't help much check it for tune up and suspect carburetor need adjustment and check the choke too
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM