98 2.2L HOW DO YOU REMOVE CAM/CRANK OIL SEAL?

1998 Toyota Camry

DansCar

September, 19, 2007 AT 12:36 AM

I am going to change the timing belt, water pump, tensioner. In doing so, how do I remove the front camshaft/crankshaft oil seal? Where can I buy the special tool to remove it? Also, I read on one of the topics here that I have to reseal the oil pump. Is this easy?

I am really short on cash and I just wanted to do it myself. I already changed the timing belt before(95,000 miles) with the help of a repair manual but not the other parts. My car has 190,000 miles now.

fisherman

September, 19, 2007 AT 9:27 AM

You can buy that tool in the autoparts, but its not that hard to take the seals out,
be sure you have the " Timing belt kit" that include the seals the tensioner bearing and all the gaskets, also I recommend you to install a " new" water pump not reconditioned because its one of the most important part in your engine also one of the most important " tip": expend more time cleaning and stripping old gaskets remember Its nice to work with a clean Engine!

Also make a drawing off your engine on a cardboard and every screw you take off insert it on the card board drawing.

Be sure also That you have The " marks" and the route on the belt.

Good Luck!

Hope it helps!

Buzzsaw

September, 21, 2007 AT 11:17 PM

You dont need a special too, two long screwdrivers work just fine, and there is no kit for t-belt, tap new seal in with small hammer, and back end of a small socket, but do buy new pullys

DansCar

September, 22, 2007 AT 12:56 AM

Thank you Fisherman and Buzzsaw for the response.

Buzzsaw, Can I ask why do I need new pulleys when the old one seems fine. Is that the crank/alternator/power steering pulleys? Or the tensioner/bearing pulleys? Or the cam/crank/oil pump sprockets?

Buzzsaw

September, 25, 2007 AT 2:05 AM

Buzzsaw, Can I ask why do I need new pulleys when the old one seems fine. Is that the crank/alternator/power steering pulleys? Or the tensioner/bearing pulleys? Or the cam/crank/oil pump sprockets?[/Quote: b09663a137]

there is an adjuster pully, for the t-belt, it can look ok but if it hasnt ever been replaced ( preventive mataince ) usually put on at 120 k dont want to pay for a belt twice

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015