Correct camshaft timing marks after removal of camshafts

VR250
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

My car has the 2.2 liter 5 SFE engine. I am re-assembling the head after replacing the head gasket and I am having trouble with setting up the cams. I can set up the inlet cam timing with top dead center, but when I look to the marks on the rear of the cam sprockets, I have one mark on the inlet cam (no problem there), but have three marks on the rear of the exhaust cam sprocket. Which one of the three do I align with the inlet cam mark?

Checked tags and is definitely the 5s-fe engine. It has one gear bolted to inlet cam driven by the timing belt. Inlet cam has a second gear on it that meshes with a gear on the exhaust cam. Will find a picture to show what I mean.

PS. I did originally mark the cams myself on the out side of sprocket, but these marks came of in the parts washer. DOH!

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 1:07 PM

VR250

The gears circled are the gears in question check out the diagram (BELOW)

+39
Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 3:34 PM
KHLOW2008

I have found the guides you need. Refer to diagrams (below). Pay attention to the service nut. Failure to set the mark correctly would result in rattling when engine is started.

+66
Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 5:31 PM
VR250

Thank you all.

KHLow2008, that was the information I needed but could not find. Thank you.

P.S. I love this site! 2CarPros is the best!

+2
Monday, July 2nd, 2012 AT 11:05 AM
KHJ

I just wanted to note that in the last photo which shows the timing marks and assembly marks, the photo makes it appear that if the gears are meshed so that the timing marks line up, then the assembly marks will not line up. However, on my 1999 Camry, the assembly marks also lined up.

I do not know if this varies with different vehicles, but just saying, do not be worried if the alignment of the assembly marks on you vehicle is slightly different than the photo. The important thing is that the timing marks line up, and that you are indeed checking the timing marks.

Anyway, thanks very much for these photos, they saved me much grief.

Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 7:11 PM
KHLOW2008

Both marks would line up. One is the mark for you to line up while installing the cams. When you turn the cam to get them seated, the other would line up.

+1
Saturday, March 25th, 2017 AT 8:29 AM
RAYMONDWEBSTER
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

There are two marks on the camshaft seal cover. One is a straight line up and down at what I would call the top. The other is a dimple like a center punch mark counter clockwise from the first about 20 deg.

Also the marks for aliening the two camshaft gears is as clear as mud. The intake has two large dots about 30 deg apart. The exhaust has a double center punch mark and two single center punch type in different places. Could you help enlighten me on how to line all of these up?

+2
Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017 AT 6:16 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Refer to diagram

KHLOW2008

Sorry, I sent the wrong diagram.

There are 2 diffferent types of markings depending on year and 1998/1999 sometimes overlaps so I have included both.

+1
RAYMONDWEBSTER

This image I found already. It does not help clear up the two different timing marks that this hold could line up to.

-1
KHLOW2008

Look carefully at the diagram. The two marks are different between front and rear camshaft.

RAYMONDWEBSTER

I am including two images. One of the Camshaft bearing cap with the two marks I see there. The other is the two camshaft gears and the marks I see on them. This is for a 2.2 liter 4 cyl. Engine which does not have two camshaft sprockets.

IANJOHNSON1
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

Ok The best way I can describe it is after I get the timing belt installed, the tension set, then turn the crank the 2 revolutions clockwise the camshaft timing mark does not line up again, it is about a 1/4" from making the full revolution and lining back up. This is a 1999 camry with 2.2I4. Just wondering if there is something I am missing because I have followed the manual step by step and the camshaft not realigning.

KHLOW2008

You did not have the spokes on the cam sprocket so I do not understand what marks are you refering to. I have enlarged the diagram for you. If you are still not sure, you would have to remove the central bolt and get the key-way to be at top for the correct mark.

KHLOW2008

When markings are lined up, during installation of belt, you would need to make allowances for the belt slack.

After making 2 turns, which is not lining up? We use the notch of the sprocket to make comparisons. Count how many notches it is off and when you repeat, make the allowances by turning the camshaft the forward or backwards the required notches.

The new timing belt should have markings for the various marks, using them would be the fastest and most accurate.

RAYMONDWEBSTER

You are showing me the dual overhead cam v6 engine not the dual overhead cam 4 cylinder 2.2 liter engine. There is only one cam sprocket on the 4 cylinder engine. I was trying to show the marks I see behind the cam sprocket. I am aware I will have to line up the hole in the sprocket to one of the marks.

-2
IANJOHNSON1

Alright well I what you said and I was able to get everything lined up perfectly and the car started no problem other than the dead battery. Here is my big concern, I replaced all major components underneath the timing cover with the exception of the oil pump and power steering pump. The car was making a sound that appeared to be coming from the timing cover area. It sounded like a bad bearing and something tapping against the cover. I was told by several people about these cars and that the tensioner would go bad and make this type of sound and that the water pump was making the tapping sound. As it turns out both components were indeed bad. After I got everything back together I started the car and I am still hearing the same tapping sound. The sound will at times stop and then start again and sometimes I do not hear it until I rev the engine a little to around 2000 RPM then it will start. Other times it is making the sound as soon I start it. Any advice would be a great help. Thank you for the info you have offered so far.

KHLOW2008

You mean you removed the camshafts and is now trying to get the cam shaft lined up to each other?

+1
KHLOW2008

Most likely the valve lifters are making the noise you described if it is coming from top of engine. Have the valve clearances checked.

RAYMONDWEBSTER

Yes and I am not sure which of the two marks on the camshaft bearing cap the sprocket hole should line up to.

KHLOW2008

I hope you have the service bolt in place to lock the intake camshaft gear and subgear in position. Failure to do so would result in engine rattling and im proper valve timing.

+1