Correct camshaft timing marks after removal of camshafts

VR250
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

My car has the 2.2 liter 5 sfe engine. I am re-assembling the head after replacing the head gasket and I am having trouble with setting up the cams. I can set up the inlet cam timing with top dead center, but when I look to the marks on the rear of the cam sprockets, I have one mark on the inlet cam (no problem there), but have three marks on the rear of the exhaust cam sprocket. Which one of the three do I align with the inlet cam mark?

p.S. I did originally mark the cams myself on the out side of sprocket, but these marks came of in the parts washer DOH!

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 1:07 PM

VR250

Checked tags and is definitely the 5s-fe engine.
It has one gear bolted to inlet cam driven by the timing belt.
Inlet cam has a second gear on it that meshes with a gear on the exhaust cam.
Will find a picture to show what I mean.

+16
Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 3:01 PM
VR250

The gears circled are the gears in question.

+13
Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 3:34 PM
KHLOW2008

Refer to diagram. Pay attention to the service nut. Failure to set the mark correctly would result in rattling when engine is started.

+29
Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 5:31 PM
VR250

Thank you all.

KHLow2008, that was the information I needed but could not find. Thank you.

P.S. ASEMaster6371, I removed the cams to remove head bolts to replace the head-gasket.

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 AT 11:05 AM
KHJ

I just wanted to note that in the last photo which shows the timing marks and assembly marks, the photo makes it appear that if the gears are meshed so that the timing marks line up, then the assembly marks will not line up. However, on my 1999 Camry, the assembly marks also lined up.

I don't know if this varies with different vehicles, but just saying, don't be worried if the alignment of the assembly marks on you vehicle is slightly different than the photo. The important thing is that the timing marks line up, and that you are indeed checking the timing marks.

Anyway, thanks very much for these photos, they saved me much grief.

Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 7:11 PM
KHLOW2008

Both marks would line up. One is the mark for you to line up while installing the cams. When you turn the cam to get them seated, the other would line up.

+2
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, March 25th, 2017 AT 8:29 AM