96 CAMRY STALLING AT STOPS

• splanch
  • 1996 Toyota Camry

96 Camry 4 cyl - 70K - Car stalls when I stop occasionally - No Check Engine Light On, had a major tune up around 50K miles. Car will also hesitate when accelarating then will catch up - Just had Fuel Pump, and Timing Belt service done.

Car will take a couple of tries to start - I check all connections and can get it to turn over - Also ran at 2000 RPM in Park - Put into to Drive car stalled

Bringing in for Service on Weds 11/21 - I need some suggestions

Monday, November 19th, 2007 AT 2:09 PM

• rasmataz

Check the idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, EGR, and fuel pressure.

Monday, November 19th, 2007 AT 2:20 PM
  • splanch

So my guy replaced the IAC - he said it was filthy and that Toyota Parts person said it was a common problem - But car still has the same problem - Except car will stall once it has been driven around - No problems when cold. Still hitting a dead spot at times when accelerating. I am going to suggest the Throttle Position Sensor - My guy says there are loads of sensor - I just don't want to keep throwing money in to the car

Hard to tell a Mechanic what could be wrong - when all I do is work on a computer

Any help would be appreciated

Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 AT 11:18 AM
  • rasmataz

Hard to tell a Mechanic what could be wrong - when all I do is work on a computer. Take my suggestions and have him inspect/test it-you're paying him-you call the shot. Me too! All day long I answer people's car problems-what makes it tough is am not with the vehicle wish I was

You have a nice holidays and good luck

Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 AT 2:15 PM
  • splanch

So Mechanic replaced IAC - mechanic mentions that Fuel Pump is shutting down once car heats up - but there is spark

I had the Fuel Pump replaced was under warranty as I had replaced again this past weekend - By another shop that was dishonest - they were trying to get me for diagnostic testing - Once I brought to my guy he claimed they did an abortion to the supporting are to fuel - that they didn't replace the whole assembly

Monday, December 3rd, 2007 AT 2:07 PM
  • rasmataz

Have the mass airflow meter check terminal Fc it grounds the circuit opening relay then it powers the fuel pump. Also the EFI main relay.

Monday, December 3rd, 2007 AT 5:58 PM
  • splanch

Are your comments standard procedure when replacing a fuel pump? I hope it works I would hate to spend $500 and it doesn't

Thanks for your help - How is the weather in Guam it is a nice steamy 20 degrees in New York

Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 7:48 AM
  • rasmataz

Weather is perfect under a coconut tree, just don't get hit with the nuts.

About the situation-see below how the fuel pump gets its power source. The circuit starts at the EFI fuse/Main relay/Circuit Opening Relay/Air flow meter, then fuel pump one of this is causing the problem. If it was me I'll check the fuel pump connector 1st for power before I replace the pump.

See below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_1.jpg

Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 1:39 PM
  • splanch

So he has the car running for over an hour and it will not stall - so he can pin test it. Checking everything still nothing harnesses, connections, I don't know at this point
I gave him all of your suggestions

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 AT 1:30 PM
  • rasmataz

Tell him to direct power to the pump from the battery. Positive to blue/black and negative to white/black on the fuel pump connector. Comeback and tell me what happened.

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 AT 3:32 PM
  • splanch

Yesterday he checked all connections to fuel pump like you said - Had the car in the garage running for 3 Hours - no stalling - Car was blocked in as roof was being replaced - He is not sure if car didn't stall as it wasn't being driven or that it was in a warm garage
I would think if car ran that long in " Park " maybe it was a loose connection - How can you see if Fule pump was truly replaced?

Thursday, December 6th, 2007 AT 7:23 AM