2000 Toyota Camry Vibration

JT2838
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi, I have a question. My friend's car has had this problem for quiite a while. When you accelerate from a standstill and get up to around 20mph the front of the car starts to vibrate and continues to get worst as you accelerate. If you release the accelerator or place the transmission in neutral the vibration stops and it rolls on smooth as a kitten. The vehicle has had a 4 point wheel alignment, new tires installed, balanced and not out of round. The rims are straight. I have replaced the Torque Strap up top and also the Transaxle Mount but the problem still lingers. I am beginning to suspect that the inboard plunge joint or the combination of that and a bad intermediate shaft bearing. What are your thoughts?
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 12:06 PM

Hi jt2838. Welcome to the forum. Your suspicions are correct. Worn spots in the inner cv joint housing prevents the rollers from moving freely. When they bind, the shaft can't change length or angle as it rotates so it pushes on the spindle which tugs on the steering linkage.

I can describe a way to inspect the housings, but most people just replace the half shaft. Start with the longest one, usually the passenger side, because it goes through smaller changes so more wear takes place in one tiny spot.

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 1:18 PM
Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 202000 miles

caradiodoc,
To your answer below. Would it be adviceable to have the Wheel Bearing also checked?
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 5:06 PM
Nope. Bearings typically cause a sound like an airplane engine when they are worn. Besides high mileage, they can be instantly damaged by placing the vehicle's weight on the wheels while the axle nut is loose or not torqued to specs. That will make them noisy too so be sure those nuts are tight before lowering the car off of a jack.

If the car was slid into a curb, the hub can be bent. That's not real common as the wheel will give first, but the symptom will be a shimmy in the steering wheel that does not go away when you let off the gas. Since your shimmy goes away under no load, you can assume the wheel bearings are ok.

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 5:11 PM