1993 Toyota Camry Car stalls and smells when trying to rest

VWMIKE72
  • 1993 TOYOTA CAMRY
My car starts fine when cold, but after it warms it stalls when stopping at light or sign! After it stalls it smells like rotton eggs when trying to resart and I sometimes have to wait 15 minutes before restarting and then when it does start it has brown smoke coming out of exhuast until it clears up then runs rough! Car seems to run fine as long as you don't stop! I had disconnected EGR valve and thought it was Idle control valve. What else could this be! If I let it sit for a couple of days, it runs finefor a day or so then problem starts all over again! Please help!
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi vwmike72,

Is the Check engine light showing?

I suspect the catalytic converter to be clogged.
Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 11:27 AM
VWMIKE72
No, check engine light is not on and I have no trouble maintaining RPM's on highway or just driving around. The problem only exists when coming to a stop! I'm totally stumped! When car sits for a few days, the problem doesn't occur right away, it may take a couple of days but when it does happen, it happens quite frequently! Any other suggestions!
Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 AT 8:17 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi vwmike72,

You mentioned waiting 15 minutes before starting. Do you mean to say the engine could not be started within the 15 mins?

The brown (black?) Smoke and bad smell should be due to excessive unburnt gas getting past the catalytic converter.

I guess you need to check for electrical faults. When engine stalls and could not start, check for sparks at plugs. The coil might not be working. Check for loose/bad socket connectors.

Check for power supply to distributor.
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 AT 6:30 AM
VWMIKE72
When this problem occurs it usually will just turn over but not start for 10-15 mins! I have to check everything electrical when it malfunctions correct? Why would the engine light not go on when this happens? Any particular sensors I can check? Thanks alot for your help!
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 AT 8:51 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi vwmike72,

If the cause is not from any sensors or signals for the PCM, the Check Light would not show.

Items at fault that does not show on the CEL.
1. Ignition coil.
2. Ignition switch. (Power supply interruption).
3. Fuel pump or relay.
4. Distributor cap, rotor, cables and spark plugs.

I would suspect it to be an electrical fault so that is where you should start when it occurs.
Thursday, September 4th, 2008 AT 6:57 AM
VWMIKE72
Thanks alot! I really appreciate it!
Friday, September 5th, 2008 AT 1:26 PM
VWMIKE72
Hi there!
Would it make sense that the problem could be the MAP sensor?
I have the car at a friends house and I have taken it out the last 4 days and there was no problems, until today I brought the car to work and it stalled! My friend has a diagnostic machine and he did see something about MAP sensor but we don't know if that was an older problem! Because they are somewhat expensive I wanted to be sure that we change the right parts! Is it possible for me to use a used Map sensor?
Thanks for your time!

Mike
Monday, September 8th, 2008 AT 1:35 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Mike,

Yes, the MAP sensor can cause the problem described.
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 AT 7:19 AM
VWMIKE72
Thanks! I ordered a new sensor. I'll Keep you posted! Thanks again!
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 AT 1:28 PM
VWMIKE72
Hi, I installed new MAP sensor and was driving home from a friends house and it stalled! Got it restarted and it was fine for the rest of the 20 min. Drive! I don't know where to look next! Could it be an intermitting ignition coil problem?

Mike
Monday, September 15th, 2008 AT 10:24 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi vwmike72,

Did the engine stall while driving or when you slowed down or stopped?

Is the Check engine light showing?
What is the idling rpm when engine is at operating temp? With AC on?
Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 AT 6:41 AM
VWMIKE72
Sunday evening when I was driving home I came to the first light and car stalled while stopped! The engine wasn't even up to temp yet! The check engine light is not on and it has never come on throughout this problem! Car idles at 700-750 rpms with the A/C on! I have driven it everywhere since then and it has been perfect and it is late tuesday evening now! It is so intermitant that I can't really take it anywhere because chances are it won't act up! Since installing MAP sensor it seems to run alot better except for that one stall at traffic light!
Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 AT 10:46 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi vwmike72,

The idling speed is normal but you seem to stall only at stops so you need to check the idling system. Is the idling erractic when the AC cuts in and out?

If yes and you had not cleaned the throttle body and IAC before, I would suggest cleaning it to get the idling speed stable. Use of carb cleaner is good enough.

Was resetting done for the ECM after installation of the MAP?

The ECM needs relearning to a certain extent so the stalling might have happened before it had fully relearnt itself. The problem might just go away after some driving.
Wednesday, September 17th, 2008 AT 6:27 AM
VWMIKE72
Thank you very, very much for all of your help, I've driven the car all week and haven't had any problems whatsoever since that one incident when I first installed MAP sensor. I'm hoping it did relearn itself and hope everything will be ok now!
Once again I appreciate very much the help and suggestions that you have given me!

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks again,

Mike
Wednesday, September 17th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM